
Our correspondent from the Love Den of Albion reminds us that it's Triple J Hottest 100 of All Time time again, with voting concluding midnight tonight AEST. The Jays haven't tried this stunt since 1998, which itself was their first attempt at running same since they shelved the '...Of All Time' concept on introducing the year-specific countdowns in 1993. Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit cleaned up in '98, as they had in the last of the All Timers before that in '91, proving that you don't need to have a recently dead lead singer to win the day, but it helps. Any money on MJ for a sentimental (if heavy on the mental) numero uno this time round?
The thing about the H100OAT is that unlike the yearly countdowns there's really no point in voting for what you think will win, because fuck knows who that'll be. The Gen Y nuff-nuffs are just as likely to band together and put MGMT or the fucking Ting Tings into first place as the elderlies of the 90s and the Double J era are to get their weathered old warhorses up the pointy end. Still I figure you can probably pencil in most of the same names from the '98 show into the '09 edition.
For the record, here's my shortlist. If 48 songs is a shortlist. It was interesting to see what stuff made the Jays' pre-culling regime (i.e. the songs available for voting upon) and what didn't. There were a bunch of songs - the Gurus' The Right Time, the Monarchs' 2001, the Hives' Main Offender - that I'd have voted for, or at least shortlisted, had they been there.Anyhoo here 'tis. Actual voted-fors bolded. Judge's decision is final, and all formal correspondence will be used as emergency bum fodder.
AC/DC - Back In Black
Airbourne - Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast
Ben Harper - Faded
Black Crowes, The - Remedy
Black Keys, The - Hard Row
Blur - On Your Own
Bomb the Bass - Bug Powder Dust
Breeders, The - Cannonball
Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
Dandy Warhols - Bohemian like you
Datsuns, The - MF From Hell
Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
Elastica - Connection
Electric Six - Gay Bar
Foo Fighters - The One
Frank Zappa - My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama
Fratellis, The - Chelsea Dagger
Frenzal Rhomb - Russell Crowe’s Band
Grinspoon - Ready 1
Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Jimi Hendrix Experience, The - Red House
Led Zeppelin - The Lemon Song
Living Colour - Love Rears Its Ugly Head
Living End, The - Prisoner Of Society
Midnight Oil - The Real Thing
Motörhead - Ace Of Spades
Oasis - Cigarettes & Alcohol
Powderfinger - On My Mind
Presidents of United States of America, The - Naked And Famous
Primal Scream - Rocks
Primus - Wynona's Big Brown Beaver
Radio Birdman - New Race
Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name
Regurgitator - Blubber Boy
Rolling Stones, The - Jumpin' Jack Flash
Rose Tattoo - Rock 'n' Roll Outlaw
Scatterbrain - Don't Call Me Dude
Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
Shihad - Wait And See
Spiderbait - Buy Me A Pony
Stooges, The - Search And Destroy
The Easybeats - Good Times
TISM - Greg! The Stop Sign
Van Halen - Panama
Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls
Vines, The - Outtathaway
White Stripes, The - Fell In Love With A Girl
Wolfmother - Woman
Yeah, bit of an emergent theme there I realise. Eleven IS one louder than ten, it's true.

Anyway bugger that. Let's sledge the Poms about being shit at rugby instead. Join me here at this morning's post for further discussion.
The Doctor is OUT.
15 comments:
Pretty sure I Scatterbrain and The Hard Ons as a naive little under-ager once. Scared the bejesus out of me.
Nice list. Am actually kinda interested in the outcome to see if I should write the Js off completely.
I LOVED Don't Call Me Dude. Can imagine them and the Hard Ons would have been fairly confronting though. As re the outcome I figure it's gonna be so massively random, I really don't mind what happens - so long as it's not some lot of Gen Y gumbies who've only been around for the last 15 minutes.
Must say, thats some list Doc, I would realistically have to hear half or better to know if I know the song, but others..hell yes, big effin list BTW.
I thought Creedance sang smoke on the water, or did they do a cover of it?, or have i simply fucked up!..lol
Nah H you just fucked up... Yeah it's a Deep Purple original, off their third album Machine Head (1971). Bloody good album, worth picking up, probably get it for about eight bucks at JB HiFi.
The original No. 1 in their Hot 100list was Joy Division, Love will Tear Us Apart. I think it got it the second year as well with a whole bunch of The Cure in the top 20 which surprised me, because I thought Goths didn't know how to vote.
I reckon it will be dominated by whatever is being listened to by nuffs at the time, hecne MJ gettinbg a fair showing. You could probably add some TV jingles in there. Its just like Big Brother voting - all done by young girls who hate other girls and swoon over whoever they've just seen on a music clip.
I dunno, Doc. I haven't heard half the songs on your shortlist. Likely an age difference issue there.
I'd bet 'best of all time' changes about 15-20 years-but there are always a few classics that sneak into everyone's dream playlist.
Therbs - obviously the Goths managed to stop being depressed long enough to log on and vote for Uncle Robert. Probably going to be Radiohead or someone equally dull this time.
YD - Triple J play a lot of alternative Australian music which you would have never heard of. It's basically the reason for their existence, supporting new Australian music.
I saw Panama, and then a blood vessel in my brain burst, so I'm being rushed to the hospital.
*screaming "Runnin' With The Devil" the entire way*
The last time I cared about the hottest 100 was in 1992 when I taught high school kids...we went to the Battle of the Bands on the Gold Coast and listened to the 'tape' (such an antiquitated word) on the way home to Springwood...ah yes...Tripe J...
...hey Steve is that Van Halen's Panama? Man that neva gets old.
It would have to be, nobody else has ever deemed the place worthy enough to sing about.
Not a bad song, I just don't see it as Hot 100 material. It took adding Sammy Hagar before Van Halen was able to improve upon Runnin With The Devil. Of course I'm partial, going to see the New Jersey Devils play, the players hit the ice when that familiar bass line started going.
Steve - nor I in the end, but I was so surprised to see early VH on the songlist available for voting thought I'd put it on. Prefer early Halen (when Eddie had the skills) to the later stuff. To me Hagar was meh - he was no David Lee Roth - but then again he was also no Gary Cherone, which is something to be thankful for. Make no mistake Halen will NOT make the countdown, it'll be Gen Y stuff plus a bunch of 80s and 90s alternative bands who most of the planet will have largely forgotten.
Nat - that's old school. (Ahem.)
I see-such obscure Australian acts as the Stones and Zeppelin.
I jest, I jest. Settle down.
Actually, it's good to hear any radio station that plays local, obscure, or up-and-coming acts-and it's a rare station that does. Certainly big corporate radio doesn't have the time of day for acts like those. It's the same here.
YD - they might be on my list but they don't get played much on the Jays. This is their current hitlist (stuff on medium to high rotation)
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/music/hitlist_artist.htm
I'd struggle to identify more than 20% of the artists let alone the specific tracks.
Of course just because it's new and alternative doesn't mean it isn't crap...
True, but listeners, not corporate execs or-worse-radio consultants, should be the judges of what gets played.
At least there's Public Radio and a few remaining locally-owned and operated stations that still play songs that aren't Approved By The Recording Conglomerates.
I don't begrudge Joy Division routinely taking top spot, but I'd like to think it wouldn't be 'Love will tear us apart' every time. It's surely not their best, just their best known. 'Transmission', 'She's lost control' and others have a place there, maybe.
I'd like to see The Jam and The Stranglers in such a list too...
Post a Comment