Wednesday, April 01, 2009

WTF?

Swearing is fun. It's not big and it's not clever, granted, but it's fun. It's not a sign of a limited vocabulary - one glance at this overly verbose pile of animal excrement would suggest Your Correspondent once swallowed a thesaurus and is in the process of extruding it in installments - but a sharply honed, pragmatic and weapons-grade effective one. If you want to get your message across in the most succinct and impactful way, The Dirty Words (thanks v. much Salim Malik) are the way to go.

I swear a lot, and I swear well. I take pride in my proficiency in profanity. I was taught to swear by (in no particular order) Billy Connolly, the Twelfth Man, my seedy uncle Dino who farms avocados, bananas, lychees and obscenities up in the hills behind Lismore, a floor full of engineers and industrial chemists in my first year at college, and above all else, Derek and Clive. Indeed, as a professional profaner of some repute I find myself drawn to other highly credentialled swearers, both in my social and in my professional life. My current boss uses swearing for emphasis, clarity, comic relief and simply for punctuation in the finest Antipodean tradition and has even been bestowed the honorary title of "King of the Sweary People" by fellow academics. The lab is accepting tenders from interested and talented fabricators for a custom-designed crown for HRF'nH Peter I as we speak. Or we may just chip in for a kids meal from Burger King and permanent-texta a 'G' over the first 'R' on the little grease-stained cardboard crown thingy.

The true talent in swearing, of course, is the art of neologism - the invention of new and exciting swear words which offend in new and exciting ways. As evolution will tell you, the pathway to new function is by reshuffling old functions in new combinations or in new niches; and as the Germans will tell you, why have the inefficiency of five separate words outlining your meaning when smashing them into each other in a massive conjugated freight-train of verbiage gets your point across with typical Teutonic force. Try it at home, or at work, or the next time some individual of dubious parentage cuts you up in traffic: just conjugate all your favourite epithets at once - in any order - and let fly. It's liberating. And educational.

Of course, there are downsides to heavy use of the more gutteral verbs, nouns and adjectives. It does tend to attract attention... such as when you are the only one at a table of ten asked to keep quiet by the waitress at the Thai place your work has invaded, many pints of Speights and bottles of red to the good, for a lab outing. Or when your two year old suddenly starts pronouncing 'Truck' with an F. Loudly and repeatedly. On such occasions it is perhaps wise to reflect and reconsider whether quite so much profanity actually adds value to one's day-to-day quality of life, or of employment, what with all that dropping of a dozen F-bombs into a five minute conversation on cricket and league with the Head of Department at Friday drinks.

However, be warned. For subtracting the Old Norse from one's vocabulary can end up with there being very few words left. It did for me. I tried it on Monday and people asked if I had laryngitis. Not so, I'd just made a bet with myself that I could give up swearing cold-turkey, and furthermore, any occasion on which I did drop one of the Seven Words You Can't Say On Television would mean a day on which I would be barred from savouring an after-work beer at the close of the day. (Seeing as though the six handles of Speights and bottle of Taylors '07 Promised Land over dinner probably contributed somewhat to the blue tinge to the air around me on Friday night, probably not a bad idea to give the grog a break too.) The results: Based on my efforts of Monday my next beer will have to wait until Friday. Of next week. Furthermore, based on my redoubled efforts of Tuesday I have decided to declare a Swearing Amnesty while the new policy is being adapted to, lest I forget what beer looks like let alone tastes of. Talk of a Swearword Buy-Back Scheme is, however, a bit premature.

So premature, in fact, that I've chucked in the towel. I'd settle, and to be fair have settled, for just swearing less. Or, at least, being aware of when I'm actually swearing, rather than using F-bombs for commas and only being mildly aware of the fact. So the swear jar has been emptied for beer money and the language is back to salty sailor talk - though not before the publication of the first ever edition of the World of Bollocks to not include any swearing whatsover - and that in a blog about swearing, is an achievement that can only be described as pretty fuckin' sweet.

Jesus suffering fuck, it was going so well.
Arsefisting cockburglaring cuntmuppet.

The Doctor is OUT to wash his mouth out with soap and water.

14 comments:

LERMONTOV said...

"It's not big and it's not clever"
The April Fools Day gag gets rolling in the 2nd sentence!

I do know what you mean though. I grew up on a cattle station and used to swear like bejeesus from hanging around the jackaroo's from the age of about two. My father used to flog us senseless if he heard us, but it just made me want to swear more!

Boarding school was exactly the same. Outside of a master's earshot - the place was a profusion of proficient profanity (to build on your alliterative phrase).

Strangely, it was the army that cured me of it. Once after I'd given a period of instruction to some new Privates about M18 mines a Sgt came up to me and said something similar to this "Sir, there are plenty of reasons why I swear. I can't think of the right word, I don't know any better and sometimes I'm just frustrated. That is beside the point. There is one reason why you shouldn't swear around the men - the men will think less of you. They expect you to be better than that. They expect you to be better than me."

It certainly didn't stop me swearing. But, it made me realise that there was a time and a place for it. Sounds kind of prudish I know - but, it still offends me if I hear people swear in the vicinity of the young or the elderly. Even though I swear almost continually in my private life.

Sorry for the rant - and make sure you cure Master Yobbo of his pronounced prediliction for proficient profanity.

Steve said...

When I was a baby, my father came home from work and found profanity written on the driveway in paint. He knew it was my older brother, and questioned him. The response was, "But dad, it was only Shit and Fuck."

Years later, I wrote "shit" "piss" and "crap" in magic marker on the side of my dresser. Fortunately, the side that faced away from the door, so it too my mom a few days to notice it.

When my elder daughter was 3, she dropped a fork at the dinner table, and when it hit the ground, she said very slowly and deliberately, "God dammit." That's my code word at home for, "Fuck, I just drilled this pilot hole in the wrong fucking place."

I rarely swear in front of children (I'd be a horrible youth sports coach if I did), or my elders, which actually college cured me from doing. But, I also learned to use newer swear phrases, such as "fuck a bunch of that shit" (a friend once tried repeating that statement, and it came out "fuck that bunch of shit," which made me about piss my pants with laughter), and I not only call people a douchebag, but also other parts of the douche assembly, such as douchenozzle.

Dr Yobbo said...

That's an interesting point Lerm re authority and respect. The temptation when you're put in charge of men - whether as an army officer or even an honours supervisor - is to swear like Kevin Bloody Wilson in order to seem one of the boys, to emphathise with their level. But as you point out that's the last thing someone in authority should actually do. You can't be at their level and do your job properly as their leader/supervisor/boss/whatever.

I've always sworn casually far too much right back into school years but it was first year at college which taught me to swear in quantity - it was single sex, none of us had women to impress with our insightful verbiage and refined manner of speaking and probably Derek and Clive (the original live album, the rest was pretty avg) which taught me to go for the top shelf early and often in terms of quality. I've always had sweary friends and flatmates and to be honest find pretty girls who swear (or at least talk dirty) kind of attractive.

Actually the wee lad has only mispronounced 'truck' once or twice and it's probably been a genuine error. However I have been able to lord it over his mother for months after he picked up and parroted her very occasional use of 'shit' - I thought it was massively ironic that given my potty mouth it'd been her who'd taught him his first rude word. But he hasn't been ordered home from childcare yet with a note from the staff seeking the disinfection of his vocabulary.

Steve - loving the douchenozzle - I think science and society would be well served by the public in general gathering a better mechanical understanding of the entire douchemechanism.

Natalia the Russian Spy said...

Mist all chucking frighty! I'm knucking fackered after reading all of that!

Yobb-man you is my hero baby! (supressing my hig bard on) Us sheilas don't have quite the same license to swear...unless you're a light rucking fesbian with buge hollocks.

Remember Derek and Clive's skit about Joan Crawford. Nearly wet myself the first time I heard that.

Steve said...

Light rucking fesbian will always be my favorite "Natalie" phrase.

Dr Yobbo said...

Think I saw a couple of those playing for the Waratards in the Super 14 rugby last weekend.

Therbs said...

Insightful observations Mr Dr Yobbo. I too am averse to letting fly in the faces of the young or aged.
Now on the suubject of inventinmg swear words I once mentioned the word 'gould' which a friend of mine and myself brought into being. We were watching the rugby league and became really really pissed off with that fucking ononist Phil Fucking Gould. So, we started calling people we don't like, 'goulds'. Or someone is 'goulding' stupid. Or, to top it off, someone like John Howard is a goulding goulder of gouldy goulds.
Feel free to use this in front of others and avoid paying Columbian ransom amounts to the Swear Jar.
For constant updates of 'filthy lexicon' i refer you to Rogers Profanisaurus.

Dr Yobbo said...

I'd go as far to suggest that our former Prime Minister was a goulding gouldwit of gouldescent proportions who can go and gould himself with a bent gould until his gould sticks out the end and the handle breaks off.

Phil Gould's a cunt too.

Steve said...

You should do another entry on just insults, which may or may not be swear words. I prefer the term "Forrest" when dealing with someone of below average intelligence.

Nautilus said...

I was always a fan of Keith the Moravian Swearing Bear. Such a nice bear.

I learn't my swearing working the car industry in parts. Once I moved into more administrative roles I struggled to control it.

I never swear around my Mum. It's funny as we got older, my brother and sister started swearing in her presence and Mum started swearing around us. But I have stuck firm and adhear to the "not around your mother" rule.

Mind you my Mum is 6 foot tall and commonly known as Attila the Mum, so that may have something to do with it.

Definately do a post on insults, I am in awe of those that can insult properly such as Flinthart.

Dr Yobbo said...

Ah Keith the Moravian Swearing Bear. Mikey Robins' finest hour. (Well to be fair it's not a difficult achievement as awards-for-hours go)

Re insult blog, can do, had a half-extruded blog on sledging mostly ready for launch whenever I could actually be arsed writing it, it's two sides of the same coin. Some of Flinty's work is utterly awe-inspiring. Actually that's most of the reason I keep my head down rather than commenting on his blog, rather that than get a roundhouse kick to the chops in insult form.

AusGaz said...

Dr Yobbo

Please study the site below;

http://www.invadenewzealand.com/

All the best.

Dr Yobbo said...

Beach-head established. Awaiting orders.

Carolyn Cordon said...

Is it still swearing if you use initials? 'WTF' sure, that's cute and we all know what you mean, but is it swearing? 'BFW' as used by Australin band TISM is hilarious, and I'm sure you all know many more.
Is it swearing if I say 'BFW' when I'm less than excited about someone telling me about their new whatever? Or is it just rude/jealous?
I could tell you about the mouse trap I seconds ago heard go off in the kitchen, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of your readers said 'BFW'.