Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pearls before swine

Me? A'ight, I guess. Fuckin' completely fuckin' over fuckin' looking at fuckin' houses, since you fuckin' asked. Yourself?

This eve's WoB is a GROHL - not a beardy ex-Nirvanan drummer type but a Grab-bag of Random Offcuts, Herpes and Leftovers. Herpes, of course, being the gift that keeps on giving. Speaking of communicable diseases:

Swine Flu. It won't kill you. It won't kill anyone you know. It hasn't even killed anyone worth knowing in terms of the actual numbers of WHO-confirmed victims - about as many as your average NASA shuttle mission gone tits-up. Basically, it's a bit shit really. It's a disease contracted and perpetuated primarily through the media, like SARS, Y2K and Kyle Sandilands. But it may have an upside... one hell of an upside. It may, nay almost definitely will, make pork cheaper. And paying less for quality pig extract is something that's worth the odd global pandemic for. (Says he, smugly, at the furtherest end of an easily defendable island at the other end of the globe from Oinkflu Ground Zero.) I'm not about to recapitulate here my own or others' persuasive arguments as to why or how Ms Piggy's most succulent bits are the king, queen or demographically elected head-of-state of meats. They just are, FACT. Objectors, disputers and playa-haters are directed to ingest a bacon sarnie, a bag of pork scratchings and a large earthenware gourd of shut the fuck up.

Meanwhile, in unrelated news, Facebook memes are fucking annoying. You know the ones. Five greatest 80's music videos. Five best cities I've lived in. Five most impressive shits I've done, with net weights and photographic evidence. Seriously, who gives a fuck? That said, there were two I wasn't even game to get started on, for fear of being there all day. The memes I mean, not the... anyway. One, fairly obviously, was my five favourite beers. Only five? You mean this week? Tried just picking a subset, like the five best beers which Carlton and United managed to fuck up by no longer making available to the general public, but after Kent Old Brown, Reschs Smooth, Sheaf Stout* and Empire (technically not much of a beer but somehow getting one in an actual glass bottle from a beer tent at Homebake has elevated this long-lost CUB concern to deity status) I just got depressed and went looking for amateur girl-on-girl porn instead.


* Yeah OK, Sheaf Stout is still available, but it's brewed at Southbank in Melbourne since those venal CUB douchefelchers shut down and sold off the Kent Brewery on Broadway. Ditto Reschs Real, DA, Poisener and all the other Sydney-based CUB produce. Could be worse of course, they could be brewed at Yatala, CUB's south-east Qld facility, where beers go to die. I challenge doubters to bench-test Sydney-spec Carlton Draught (brewed in Melbourne) against its Brisbane-borne equivalent and tell me it's the same beer. Moral of the story: SEQ water is arse filtered through arse.

The other, unsurprisingly, was the 'five albums which shaped me'. Which being an insufferable music git I took Very Seriously and interpreted as NOT my five 'favourite' albums necessarily but the five which had the most bearing on my musical tastes. Resulting in:
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced (1967)
The Sex Pistols, Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols (1977)
Motorhead, Ace of Spades (1980)
The Datsuns, The Datsuns (2001)
The Black Keys, Thickfreakness (2003)

Of course as soon as pressing the big Confirm button on that lot I thought of half a dozen others which could or should have been there. AC/DC Live only missed out on the basis of not wanting to undeniably prove to everyone I know that I am an irredeemable bogan from the sticks whose dream car is a Monaro GTS. The Stooges' Raw Power should have been there. And hell, TISM's Machiavelli And The Four Seasons got played until its ring got lasered off when I first got it back in the day, as did the Presidents of the USA's debut, Veruca Salt's 8 Arms To Hold You, Regurgitator's Unit, Frenzal Rhomb's A Man's Not A Camel, Airbourne's Runnin' Wild... could have been there for weeks. To noone's benefit, least of all my own.

Framing the same question of beer rather than music tends to tease out the cheap 'n' nasty end of the spectrum. The old man tended to populate the fridge with Reschs Real and Tooheys Red, (a) because he was cheap and (b) as it was as convincing an argument against teenage drinking as ever there was. Rubbish like Carlton Cold and Hahn Ice tended to figure prominently in early dispatches. Uncle Ted (Extra Dry) was a big favourite for many years, then international lagers, homebrewed creations and God knows what else. Nowadays, my favourite beer of the moment - whatever moment - is the beer I'm drinking in that moment, because it's the one which has been picked out to accompany and complement that moment. Except for the 500mL cans of Grolsch which are packing out the lower half of my fridge at present; they were chosen as they were Cheap As Fuck. ($6 a 4-pack. Argue with that to your detriment.) It's the hard-to-find shit which triggers the nostalgia, though. Southwark Stout, if you can find it, may be the greatest dark beer in the history of stuff. It's black as pitch and richer than Rupert and had a justly-legendary reputation in the college I stayed at during my early yrs at uni, largely because the bottle shop over the road stocked it (as well as something called Polish Drinking Spirits - 80% proof - in no way recommended for consumption by anyone). Little Creatures Pilsner off tap from the Australian Hotel in the Rocks is purest concentrated Win. There's a brew-pub in Canberra - perhaps the only redeeming quality of the Nation's Capital - called the Wig and Pen which does an Aviator Bock which is truly awe-inspiring. But, in all honesty, finding good beer - any good beer - for cheap is one of life's simplest and most rewarding pleasures.

So our World Of Bollocks Challenge for this Weak is - name the album and/or the beer that shaped you, in 25 words or less. Cos I'm in a position to take the moral high ground when it comes to brevity and shit eh.

Bonus points if you can explain (a) what the fuck this girl is doing to this lizard, and (b) what the fuck it has to do with getting a career in science.

The Doctor is OUT.

17 comments:

Steve said...

I'm not big on anatomy of reptiles, but is her upper lip where that lizard's doogan should be?

Steve said...

Influential albums: Anything by The Who. Quadrophenia is the album that made me fall in love with them. Who's Next and Tommy sealed the deal and blew me away. Much like how one can never explain how/why they're in love, I couldn't possibly explain why I love their music.

Influential beer: The Hefeweizen style. Hefeweizen made me realize beer can be more than just barley. And showed me that different grains, like wheat, can add a different flavor, and be more refreshing than lawnmower beers. Hefeweizen enabled me to love many wheat-heavy Belgian ales as well.

LERMONTOV said...

a) the girl is licking the lizard

b) if she licks my lizard she can have whatever job she wants

Not really into music.

Coopers Vintage, Chimay, Fosters, XXXX and Corona.

The first two because I like - the last three because one learns from what one doesn't like.

AusGaz said...

Album - Pink Floyd "The Wall". Great to watch the movie when stoned and/or drunk.

The girl and the lizard are the cosmetic industries attempt to outdo the Antz Pants ad from years ago.

Sic em Rex !!

AK™ said...

what about Fosters?
Fosters is probably the equilivant to Coors here in the States..

Nautilus said...

Swine flu - it's a bit shit really. If that isn't on the front page of tomorrow's Hearld Sun there is something seriously wrong.

Album - Paul Hogan narrated Peter and the Wolf. Taught me the Peter and the Wolf story and that Hoges can be F&*king funny.

Beer - Fosters Special Bitter, like Lerm, I learn from my mistakes and this beer taught me that beer isn't neccessarly a magical elixer that makes the world a better place and all it's people far more interesting, while still tasting good.

The real question is what is the lizard doing to the girl? What has it got to do with getting a job in science? Well ask any lizard scientist, the answer is obvious.

Dr Yobbo said...

If you squeeze my lizard
I'll put the snake on you"
- Lemmy from Motorhead

A mate of mine suggested she was genuflecting before her Illuminati overlords (all reptiles of course, just ask David Icke) in order to improve her job prospects.

AusGaz - that Antz Pantz commercial was the only thing ever to make me want to be reincarnated as an echidna. The original and followups here - the one with Ipswich Hilton is best avoided.

Therbs said...

Album - Its a fucking mad race between between "Led Zep 3" and "The Fabulous Beach Boys". I think Zep might take The FBB on the next corner. Hang on, the Safety Car just came on because Neil Diamond lost it and took out Deep Purple, the fucking dullard.
Beer - Reschs Dinner Ale - its what me dear old dad fed me in small doses when I were a young lad. Taught me that beer was good.
I learnt this saying "there's only two types of beer, good and better". That little bit of philosophy got hit upside the head by Co-fucking-ors
As for bacon, if anyone argues agin it I hope they're within quick ferrying distance of the Coroner's body fridge 'cos I'll get all Havock on them.
And here they come up to the chequered flag and the Beach Boys cross the line quickly followed by Led Zep. Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks gets a podium spot despite his non-regulation harmonica.

Therbs said...

Oh, and the lizard licker? Dunno what its about but I'm hoping there's a video out there somewhere.

Dr Yobbo said...

Dinner Ale was one of the beers they used to brew at Broadway - I think it's still being brewed in Melbourne, along with Real, Pilsener et al. That was a damn tasty beverage. The old man put me onto it as well. He used to drink Tooheys Flag Ale which is definitely long gone - but partial to Tooheys Old which if pushed was probably my most influential beer, in that it opened my first-year-uni beer palate up from generic big-label golden lagers to stuff that wasn't. Even though the Old did fucking alarming things to your morning-after grog bog.

uamada said...

VB shaped me, as i had one and didn't touch a beer for 17-18 years, straight to spirits.
I am quite happy with the Heineken that i'm drinking right now though.
The album may have been triplej's hottest 100 vol 4 or 5

Anonymous said...

Album would be The Wall, beer Cooper's Sparkling.
Ahh Sheaf stout the dreaded last beer of the beer tour in Fiji.

Anonymous said...

Dr Yobbowski, I've 2,000 LPs but I'm thinking 'Explosive Hits 75' might be grooving the stylus of my bubble-gum inner-soul.

On the beer bro', drinking Swan Export in old steel cans underage in Bali a couple of wks after the Americas Cup win was speckie.

Anonymous said...

Then again, rocking up to parties with KB longnecks knowing no fucker'd theive them from the bath was always a comfort

Dr Yobbo said...

Bedes, that's why I'm a big rap for Tasman Bitter. The ideal sharehouse party beer - drinkable, but untheftworthy. Ditto our homebrews.

Bangar - very much enjoyed the last lot of Sparklings I got hold of (watching the cricket on Australia Day - where in true Aussie tradition we fell arse over tip like a pissed skateboarder) - though can't recommend them off tap from the UQ staff club, they have weird dead mouldy things living in their pipes methinks.

U - the Very Bad had the same affect on me, but foolishly I just found a different beer, rinsed and repeated.

AJ said...

Come on - it's a best album thread and you didn't take the usual opportunity to take your usual cheapshot that I put Def Leppard's "Hysteria" on my list? You're slipping. It's good for every situation. Been kicked in the balls? Sing to Def Leppard. Want to recover from a great hangover with sketchy women? Put on Def leppard.

Actually those last two go together :P

As for the beer - how do you pour it again? :P

Dr Yobbo said...

"It's good for every situation. Been kicked in the balls? Sing to Def Leppard. Want to recover from a great hangover with sketchy women? Put on Def leppard.Actually those last two go together"

Well they did for me. Though playing Frenzal Rhomb's 'Dugadugabowbow' (aka 'I think you're really nice but I couldn't bring myself to fuck you') was the real killer move. Ta for that.