Thursday, May 27, 2010

3DHDTVLOLWTF?

Anyone else hoping 3D TV turns out to be the most massive, embarrassing, irrelevant, expensive clusterfuck of a marketing failure since Betamax met iSnack 2.0?

Yup. Thought so.

3D TV is more pointless than Kyle Sandilands and seems equally as egregiously cretinous. Noone wants to sit in their living rooms wearing noddy fucking glasses watching Charlie fucking Sheen's bowling shirted beer gut leering out of the screen on Two And A Half Jokes. And anyone who does is just about stupid enough to (a) be the target demographic for aforesaid bucket of shite and (b) deserve to piss a fuckload of money away on an orphan platform targeted at the clawingly aspirational and the congenitally stupid, and plugged with desperate ferocity by sinking, failing free-to-air networks. As demonstrated last eve by Rabs, Sterlo, Tugga, Donkey, Simmo, Wonka and Dickhead* on Nine's Origin coverage - trumped by 48 hours for First Live 3D Sports Broadcast Evarrrr Ish by Fox Sports' Socceroos-All Whites coverage, in exactly the sort of pathetic display of one-upmanship you'd expect from Unky Rupert's trained monkeys.


*Note: Some of these former footballers may not exist


The reasons for 3D TV's inevitable glorious failure are longer than God's own schlong and equally as disquieteningly gnarled. Noone who wears glasses is going to want to wear a pair of oversized 3D safety goggles designed to fit around them, or go put contacts in just for the experience of a disturbing surround-stereo image of the Mad Monk's Speedo package on the nightly news. Most TV gains nothing from being in 3D. Shooting in 3D takes twice the time, effort, expense and carbon. And, besides all that, it's a wank. So fuck it with a big pointy stick. On this you can be sure: I will buy a 3D TV the day after my sex change operation.

The Doctor is OUT.

8 comments:

Moko 2.0 said...

"I will buy a 3D TV the day after my sex change operation."

Cut, and paste, and save. File name: Doc's sex change.

You're right. I've got no urge and can't see the point. You'll end up getting the shits with the glasses then get the shits with the tele coz it's blurry. Fuck that, and a bag of chips.

Skarburn said...

Funny story. A workmate of mine is playing games. Loves his games. And he had a Geekbox 360. He heard about the 3D TV Revolution. Because his stunna girlfriend's dad is top manager of Sony Qld/Aus/Whatchamacallit, he heard that PS3's were going to be the first console getting into the 3D TV gear because it was easily capable.

So he up and sold his 360 to me for chips, and he's waiting for a chance to pick up a new Telly. He's going to look like a right ponce, hey.

I have no need to get 3D tv, as I have trouble seeing further than my dick without glasses, and going to the stupid fkn chermside to wear the stupid fkn geek glasses to watch the stupid fkn Avatar and the attention seeking 3D generated cousin Clash of the Stupid Fkn Titans, pisses the stupid Fkn outta me.

Fk household goggles. I ust want to get rid of the CR-FKN-T telly i use.

Big Bad Al said...

So, you are going ahead with the sex change operation then?

3D TV will go the way of Chanel 9's Interactive TV. A passing failure.

Dr Yobbo said...

Moko - yes, cut and paste by all means, but do actually make an attempt to read and comprehend

Meds - Lerm was mentioning a workmate who spent big on a 3D TV for Origin then discovered when he switched it on at kickoff that his locality didn't have 3D coverage - looking forward to many more tales of pretentious early-adopter douchery.

Al - (a) no (b) yes.

Moko 2.0 said...

Dr Sheila. LOLZ

Timmo said...

LOL, Moko - or would that be Mrs Dr Mrs Yobbo? :)

As far as 3D TV's going, I'm not sure it's gonna be a passing fad, but I'll be waiting till the format settles down before buying one for several reasons:

1. I don't fancy the idea of having to wear glasses which flicker at 100Hz, let alone wearing over my current glasses.

2. Even if they sort out the polarised mode (a-la cinema) for home TVs it still means annoying glasses over the top and all the added reflections you get between them.

3. They have been talking about prismatic 3D TVs with no glasses required (but you need to sit in exactly the right spot, hence usable by exactly 1 person).

So, waiting till an acceptable solution comes along. I haven't yet jumped on flat screen bandwagon, so I can probably wait...:)

Nautilus said...

I am hoping it takes off just enough to push down the price of normal tvs, because I want a new tv.

Skarburn said...

Dr Mole has a ring to it...