Sunday, January 17, 2010

No fidelity

NFI why the autoblogfeedthing didn't pick up this morning's craptastic rant about Marcos Ambrose and his barbequing habits. Possibly because it was controversial, even libellious. Possibly because it was shit. Anyhoo here it is.

Did something out of the ordinary the other day. I went into a shop and bought some music CDs. At this point I'd usually spiral off into one of our once-regular New Music Reviews but suffice to say all three albums - Wolfmother's Cosmic Egg, Jet's Shaka Rock and the self-titled debut album (feeling very Triple M back-announce all of a sudden) from stellar rock bastard supergroup Them Crooked Vultures - are decent. Cosmic Egg takes one look at Sophomore Album Theory (i.e. second albums are always rubbish) and does a big poo on it, as it's the equal if not better than Wolfmother's debut, broadening their Zep-Purple-Sabbath influences to stuff like Muse and the White Stripes. Them Crooked Vultures is as FUCKING AWESOME as you'd expect a group made up of JPJ, Super Dave Grohl and the ranga from Queens of the Stone Age to be, and then some - there's stuff in there that sounds like Cream doing Disraeli Gears (eg Scumbag Blues), other stuff sounds like the WORLD IS COMING TO AN END. Often in the same song (to wit, Noone Loves Me & Neither Do I). And Shaka Rock... is a'ight. Undercover Music News were banging on about this album being the death of Jet because it took so long to come out. It's probably more because it's not as good as their last two. That said, it's comfortably in the top three albums I've bought this year. And that's saying a lot. About my music buying habits mostly.

However, going into a shop and buying some CDs is not only a bit out of the ordinary for me, it seems, but for everyone in the entire world, judging by the last two music stores I've set foot in - a Sanity in Australia and a Marbecks (pretty much the same except they do books too) in NZ. Each had The Most Pathetic Range of new music CDs you could possibly imagine - basically one wall - outnumbered at least three to one by their DVD shelving. For some bands there were more T-shirts on sale than CDs. Point of sale advertising was non-existent. This, children, is the post-iTunes music store: all the range of an Austereo playlist, with equally as much listening pleasure.

For that, Mr Jobs, fuck ya. For iTunes has killed the music store stone fucking dead. Not the torrent sites, because the majority of people pay for music, and didn't move their music purchasing online until iTunes did it for them. And I, for one, loved the music store. Even the crap, commercial ones. They usually had more listening posts, for starters. I suspect - and I bloody well hope - that the specialist places, the Rocking Horses and Red Eyes and Utopias of the world which took from me much of my late teens' and early twenties' disposable income and exchanged it for hundreds of CDs full of untrammelled win - will still have a market, even if it comes to be in second-hand discs and vinyl. And iTunes is most certainly convenient. But to paraphrase the Dead Kennedys, while we have been given convenience, the record store has been given death.

The other great victim of iTunes has been the radio station, as discussed in previous media commitments here and elsewhere around the Hottest 100 Of All Time - which brings us to Triple J. Although Triple J has more of a cultural development element to their corporate mission - as set by their governmental paylords - than the commercial networks (eg Austereo's which, mostly deservedly, are haemorrhaging) and can sidestep some of the need for out-and-out ratings, if noone's listening, questions still get asked. Add to that the degree to which the tail is wagging the dog at Triple J in terms of playlist selection, or even minor stuff like which out of the thousands of tracks they play each year get shortlisted onto their list of 'all the major tracks we've played this year' (potential for subjective rortage much?) around Hottest 100 time. Or maybe it's just me cracking the shits with the muppets who drive the bus at the Jays because this '80s electropop revival should have started and ended in about 2004 with the Dandy Warhols' We Used To Be Friends off that shit album with the banana on it. It was shit in the '80s, it's shit now. What next? Bringing back '80s poodle metal with drummers in rotating cages and more powder than a northern hemisphere ski season? Nothing about the '80s was worth keeping, retaining, or revisiting. Not the fashions, not the movies, not the cars, and definitely not the music. It. Was. Shit. I know. Unlike most of these tweenie fucks who are buying the stuff, I Was There.

Anyway, fuck 'em. Voted for a bunch of Wolfmother and Them Crooked Vultures tracks. The '80s were shit. The '70s, though...

The Doctor is OUT.

7 comments:

Albion Love Den said...

I'd totally have to call you on that Jet album. I'm convinced everything they do is bullshit try-hardism wrapped in expertly stressed denim.

I could call you on it, but I just wasn't fucked buying it.

Good call on Wolfmother. I like that they toned down the air-head mysticism a notch. And also that anything Dave Atkins is involved in usually contributes at least a modicum of musical nouse to the marketplace.

Oh, and the 80s were responsible for an avalanche of shite, but it also produced the Go Betweens. That, in my world, makes up for all the filth.

Dr Yobbo said...

Yeah, I didn't really buy it either, it was a Xmas present for DMDY. And it's not brilliant. Overproduced, unfocused, and lacking much more than the handful of really killer tracks previous Jet albums have been. Plus they're actually not that flash a live band which in the Australian scene is absolute blasphemy. The last genuinely poor live act to get currency was the Vines and they were crucified for that. They're not as bad as the Vines, but they're still not as good live as the sort of band they're trying to be, should be. Meanwhile Airbourne came along and did what Jet were trying to do, louder and faster. Which is better.

I was totally expecting WM v2.0 to be utter shite. With the original back-room staff goneski I totally expected Stockdale to wank it up a storm. Impressed, but somehow let down at the same time. Maybe it doesn't actually count as a second album if it's only the same lead dude.

It takes a lot of Go Between to make up for Motley Crue. A LOT.

beeso said...

Cmon boys I'll buy you a La Roux album for xmas. As for me, i'm digging the elctro influenced pop revival because this time there are actually some decent songs.

As for iTunes, i am over the moon that it is killing the sanity's of the world. I always found most of the staff were mini clones of Kyle and Jackie O with musical taste to match. If i heard a song and wanted to buy it on impulse unless it was top twenty or high rotation on Bfucking105. Now i can get stuff on impulse, at a decent price and some pretty obscure shit too. No sanity I know would have carried The Jesus and Mary Chain.

Rockinghorse will never die, because they carry music for people who deeply truly love it, on vinyl.

Albion Love Den said...

I get ya on La Roux, Beeso. Got it after your blog post and it's sunk into the playlists quite easily.

I'm also a keen observer of the 80's pop revival at the moment. But I think we're at the very beginning of the surge, where quality is the aim of the game. Once 'mainstream' fully embraces it and blandifies it, it's going to be aural fucking mayhem in order to sell units.

Dr Yobbo said...

*shakes head*

Gents, the facts are these. There are two forms of music in the world: rock, and elevator. The End.

beeso said...

Got a feeling you'll be wincing a lot through hottest 100 then.

Greybeard said...

My musical tastes are out of the Ark (. . . and now here's Ham and the Funky Gibbons) but I've got a soft spot for Rocking Horse & Red Eye.