That said, I've been trying a new low-carb ale. As agreed, this is usually a recipe for fail frosted with arse. The brew is Speights Traverse from NZ's leading brewer Speights
(having their headquarters here in Dunedin has nothing do to with that statement), sibling to their Summit golden lager which came out a year or so ago and saw the Lion Nathan owned concern moving away from their traditional of making old-man beers like Old Dark and Distinction Ale (aside from their flagship Gold Medal Ale, NZ's number one selling beer) to aiming for the Yoof Market. Lots of advertising leveraging the synergy of Speights' Otago base and the adventure playgrounds of central Otago and the Southern Alps;
Summit's tag line being 'Don't mess with nature', clearly parking the marketing bus smack bang in that sort of territory. (Like all beer ads it's a good one, because they've spent money on thinking it up.)Same again with their new low-carb effort Traverse, aiming for the body-conscious gent with their tag line 'Only carry what you need' (see what they did there? Cos it's half the carbs. And it's called Traverse, leveraging all that X-treme mountainy shit. MARKETING GENIARSE.) Now WoB isn't TOBP - not that nearly enough decent Kiwi beers make it to Steve's page, which isn't that surprising given some bastard parked the Pacific Ocean in the way - so our beer reviews extend as far as saying the following: It's decent.
Not as sweet as Summit - so Beeso will be disappointed - and no body to speak of but it's pretty to look at, like Miranda Kerr. Nice mouthfeel. Ditto. Possibly.But what's the point? As with last time, this is style over substance, pretense over contents. Traverse - and the other 'value added premium branded' low-carb beers like Pure Blonde or Hahn Super Dry - are more expensive than their usual label stablemates. Traverse, on the day I bought it at $19 a dozen, stacked against $17 for Summit and $15 for Speights (as the Gold Medal Ale is usually known.) A perfect example of what a branding guru once described to me (and a bunch of other peeps in a seminar, I wasn't that special) as the intent and the ideal of all branding exercises: getting people to pay more for less. In this case, less carbs, less body, and less flavour. Less beer, in short.
And, to be fair, the Kiwis (or at least the NZ arm of Lion Nathan) usually do this sort of thing better than most. The best midstrength around at the moment is Steinlager Edge - not yet in Australia - but it's 3.5% alcohol, lower(ish) carbs, and actually has taste. Compare that to something like Peroni Leggera, which is aimed at the same market but instead tastes almost exactly as though someone's poured Nastro Azzurro into a stubbie to two-thirds full and topped the bastard off with water. Given the carb and alcohol count it may well be the case. Bloody Italians. The rest of them are equally nasty. All the Blondes are skanky. Pure, Platinum, Bondi, Jackie O. There hasn't been a good low carb beer brewed anywhere, ever. And there never will be, because it's like trying to make fat-free chocolate, or friction-free sex. You can't take out the key ingredient and expect to make the thing appealing.
So in summary. Low carb beers: they don't taste very nice and they make two fifths of fuck all difference to the size of your gut. Buy them if you are stupid. The end.
The Doctor is OUT to grab the last Summit before DMDY does.
18 comments:
Beer there looks as cheap as bedtime self-service
Bedes
At least you haven't been visited with the horror that is xxxx summer ale.
I'm off the beer at the moment, except for the two I had last night with my best mate so I can't really comment.
Bedes - that it is (or so I'm told, ahem) thanks to NZ liquor laws making it OK for supermarkets to sell the stuff - as in most normal first-world Western democracies.
Beeso - wasn't game to go near XXXX Summer Ale while over there, saw the magic words 'low carb' and verily and lo I runneth like fuck. And got Coopers Pale instead.
Mates if mine last weekend were trying to spruik it to me. Made me want to cry, though that might have been the lack of coffee
Can't really argue with anything here - though if I had to pick one, Coopers Green is half-drinkable.
Used to be a DB (Bitter or Natural) man back in the day, though enjoyed Speights Distinctions at my wedding IIRC.
I miss rigars ... rigers ... coke bottles filled with beer for cheap.
$15 a dozen? Farken theiving ATO c#ntards. FAAARRRK.
I have fuck all knowledge of how many carbs is in the old man's homebrew, which I'm still knee deep within. That is unless, of course, carbs can be counted along with the floaties... in that case, my love handles are going to get their own love handles, it seems.
I don't mind Pure Blonde - but only because it's pretty benign and is a quickly drinkable beer.
What annoys me? People who see you drinking Blonde and go .. "ooooh - watching the carbs eh?"
Who the fuck drinks beer AND watches their weight. It's entirely mutually exclusive.
Yeah. 'Low-carb' beer is a joke. Alcohol is a carbohydrate! I give all that stuff a pass. I don't drink a lot anymore, so when I have a beer, I want the real thing in all its glory.
Depending on where it was brewed (it is brewed in about 50 locations worldwide), and which variety, some styles of Guinness are as low as 5g of carbs, which is about the same as regular Budweiser (at least, US-brewed Budweiser).
I'd rather drink beer with flavor and enough carbs to choke a horse, and simply eat right and exercise with my weekly football game.
Thanks for putting in the hard yards and trying the low carb beers for us so we don't have to.
Beeso - your mates from Monteiths like to say (in their ads) all beer is good, some beer is better. They're wrong. Some beer is not good. Not at all.
Drej - DB Draught is still very cheap over here, can usually find it for less than $14 a dozen. It's the old man beer of the DB range (they spend more cash promoting Tui and Export these days.) Macs do a low carb beer called Spring Tide - it's alright I guess. But that's the problem, they're only ever 'alright', never actually something you'd choose to drink over a real beer.
Moko - the fun police haven't got to riggers yet. That's still a going concern.
ALD - $15 a dozen for Speights is gouging IMO, can usually get it a bit cheaper than that! Admittedly most mainstream NZ beer is 4% alcohol, so if it was being sold in Australia it'd be cheaper than VB etc because of how the excise is calculated. But still, Aust beer prices are fkn ridonkularse. Qld in particular. Home brew is usually heavy in carbs because you don't tend to 'clean up' the residual sugars in it with a drying enzyme or other tricks which commercial brewers pull.
AJ - solution, stop drinking Pure Blonde. But you're right, drinking weight-conscious beer is like having noise-conscious sex. It's pointless and takes all the fun out of it.
YD - exactly. None of the full strength 'low carb' beers are as low in carbs as light (alcohol) beer anyway.
Steve - not sure I'd be queuing up to try that lower carb Guinness! And agreed exactly. Unless you're an alcoholic, beer is not going to be a dramatic proportion of your carb intake. Do it in moderation and do it properly I reckon.
Barnes - cheers - I now declare this experiment OVER. Back to drinkable stuff.
The only thing they are useful for is indicating the women who drink them have body image issues!
Nice One Lerm, spot the insecurity from across the room.
So long as Lerm doesn't hit on AJ, we should be all right...
Most versions of Guinness come in around 4% abv, some slightly higher, some a tad lower, so most are not that sweet to begin with. Less alcohol, fewer sugars, fewer carbs. The Micks can drink a ton of the stuff because it's not the ideal get-drunk beer. Guinness tends to be a dry, low-alcohol beer.
For light beer, I stick with German Hefeweizen. Naturally low in calories, low-carb, with a ton of flavor, if you like wheat beers and a touch of banana, clove and bubble gum flavor in your beer (which I do!).
Not a beer connersewer but a few Guinness Extra Stout don't half taste good on a hot day. And with that Gooble Warming . . .
Steve - you're right, dammit, though Australasian Guinness (and the stuff I saw on my limited UK travels) is five percent or thereabouts.
Greybeard - can't agree the black beers agree with heat for mine, but cheers for stopping by - and you NBob.
Post a Comment