Thursday, January 07, 2010

All my friends are getting iPhones

Seasons Gruntings. In keeping with various fitness-related resolutions, we begin the New Year with exercises. In particular grubby cross-promotional exercises:

Your Correspondent @ Mother Focaccia talking farmers' markets and fresh produce

And the triumphant return of Flange Gasket, In The Worst Possible Taste of course. Remember, in hell, it's always Schoolies Week.


There. That was nice and gratuitous. Hoping for a job on Nine's cricket coverage scripting the seamless integration of Betfair odds updates into the commentary.

And speaking of cricket, I went on a drunken roadtrip mission (not driving thxverymuch) and a cricket game broke out. Rain and Victorian cheating (fuck you Miscellaneous Nannes) put paid to any hopes of a legitimate result, but a good time was had by all. 'Twas fucking awsm and no mistake. Except for one, lingering, malingering resentment.

We missioned up (and back) to Brisvegas from the glorious north coast of NSW in AJ's old warhorse of an AU Falcon wagon. Five blokes, one driving, four offering constructive advice on said driving, complaining about the music and agitating for bottle-o stops, visits to the slashers and pub lunches. And every bastard among them - apart from Your Correspondent - had an iPhone. Even my old mate Craigos who's in the final year of his PhD (which is usually year four of three, as demonstrated by Your Correspondent) and who, you might reasonably expect, be by this stage in proceedings less solvent than an Icelandic bank. Nope. iPenises for all. And they're fucking BRILLIANT. They're shiny, they do stuff, they work well, they play music, have lots of cool apps and, in a novel development, you can talk in one end and people will talk back to you at the other. WTF next people?? Web 2.0 FTW!!!1!

In short, they're cool, and they do everything it says on the tin, and I WANTS IT.

At least, I did. But now...

Now, as it is, I talk a lot of bollocks. An oar in four blogs, Arsebook, Twunter, email, whatever. My opinions do not suffer from lack of exposure to oxygen. But, God's bollocks, can you imagine how unutterly clusterfuckingly exponentially worser (yes, WORSER) it'd be if I had an iPhone?

Yeah, about that. Maybe more.

Anyway, I've had an epiphone (or even an ep-iPhone. Hur hur. I made a funny.) I don't actually NEED an iPhone, that I knew. But I don't actually WANT an iPhone either. Because the truth is, I'd never get anything fucking done.

That, and the words 'cellphone service' in the deep south are an oxymoron.


The Doctor is OUT.

10 comments:

annemiek said...

I am iPhoned too! (unlocked). Loving the ride!

beeso said...

you know you want one

Dr Yobbo said...

Annemiek - bloody hell, it took long enough! I don't think the hassle was worth saving $200 for...

Beeso - no I don't, see up there under the bit where I said 'I don't actually want one.'

Moko 2.0 said...

You can get a 'chopper app' for iPhones coming out soon. I shit you not.

Right now you're thinking a chopper game on the phone?. Well, yes and no. You control the chopper with your phone but the two cameras on the REAL chopper can be viewed in the screen. That makes it a drone.

Yes, I do have a mysterious slow drying stain on my pants right now.

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/en

IT will work on the iPod touch too. Which I have....

Jennicki said...

OMG I know just want you mean. I have a friend who is a grad student, no job, living solely off student loans, and he has a fkn iPhone.

It's stupid and silly and and expensive and I'm already online too much and I WANT ONE.

lol

So, with ya, Doc.

Jennicki said...

Oh wait then you said you didn't want one. Sorry.

yankeedog said...

I have a big (by current standards), clunky, not-too-many-functions Nokia that functions as a telephone. And I'm good with having just that. I just can't see a pressing need for an iPhone for myself at present.

Anonymous said...

Fuck the iPhone. I mean that literally. There is an app that makes it really interesting.

Albion Love Den said...

It's not so much the shiny happy toy I want, just the smug, self-satisfied, seemingly fulfilling lifestyle that Jobs' marketing people are foisting on the world.

Although I would the shiny happy toy would allow me to surf porn on the bus on the way home.

Dr Yobbo said...

Moko - do you really need an iPhone app to get your chopper out in public? Or any encouragement whatsoever?

Jen - yeah, I want one, but I don't want one.

YDog - got a dodgy Panasonic flip thing with a crappy camera. Had a better one, but it got driven over, as discussed in a previous post. I suspect nobody actually NEEDS an iPhone, it's marketing over substance, but it is very geeky-cool.

PNB - I don't doubt that for a minute.

ALD - you can only surf iPorn on the iPhone. All play-toys used by the shaved amateur Hungarian lesbifriends in question are shiny, designer-trendy with rounded edges, and the batteries give out just when least desired.