6am departure. Broadbeach, to Nerang, to Beaudesert, to Woodenbong, down the Clarence Way on GPS instruction, backpedalling cos it's a fucking goat track, back to Urbenville (very ironically named as it's neither) and cutting through the mountains to rejoin the equally laughably named Mount Lindesay Highway - the only national highway on the eastern seaboard which is still dirt - to finally reunite with decent blacktop at Stanthorpe. Then on to Tenterfield, across the top of the New England Tablelands to Glen Innes, then the final plunge down the Gibraltar Range to Grafton, just a mere 160 kays to finish. Google Maps records the total distance as 620km and the projected elapsed time as eight hours, 41 minutes. They are fucking kidding themselves. Sydney to Maclean is about that time and distance and it's mostly open freeway. This shit would have been a 9-10 hour wet tarmac rally stage - apart from the bits which were gravel, and they might both be Frauds but a lumping great AU Falcon wagon ain't a Focus WRC.And all that just to get to work on Monday.
You might call him brave, you might call him stupid. I call him something else. I call him a lucky, lucky bastard. For there are very few things on this glorious green Earth that I love more - on that list with bacon, beer, bikes, bi-curious amateur girlies et al - than the wonder that is the Great Strayan Road Trip. Intended or otherwise. The intoxication of distance, the excuse to eat inappropriate amounts of crap food, and the psychosis that the road instigates, where every in-joke becomes schoolgirl-giggly-hilarious. Our trip down to Sydney for Homebake was a good example - the truck we passed with the bumper sticker 'If you can't stop, at least smile as you go under' was adopted as a cover-all philosophy for the remainder of the trip. Certainly summed up the quality of banter being engaged in within the cockpit.
The road trip bug hit me early, as soon as I was able to conduct my own examples thereof. The Brown Hornet you've already met. It had a dodgy fuel gauge, looked like a squared-off turd and the back had a tendency to go around corners faster than the front. But it demolished road trips. The run from the lower Clarence to the Clovelly Hotel (or anywhere else in the eastern suburbs of Sin City) it absolutely dined out on; 2200 rpm in top, just inside the safe 10% over the posted limit; stereo cranked, scything the air apart, low slung, hunkered down, obliterating distance. Eight hours forty was the Hornet's record for the 650 kays, many years ago when the Pacific Highway was notably more shit. To put it mildly, this compared favourably with the twelve-plus hours it took on an overnight coach seated next to unwashed Byron ferals which had been de rigueur for uni holiday sorties prior to the Hornet's commissioning. And that's kind of the point. When the other options at hand are Countrylink and Premier Motor Service, 153 bhp of six-cylinder-powered squared-off-turd very quickly attains legendary status.
Even the very wet trip where the drivers' side wiper blade broke off the wiper arm while going flat-stick and spat itself into a hedge nearing Hexham, only 500 very sodden km from home, would have been preferable to folding oneself into the arsebiting confines of a Scania double-decker coach for half a day, not to mention the 3am stops in places like the
Mobil roadhouse in Karuah or even, joy of joys, the desperately fucking dodgy Ayers Rock Roadhouse in the shattered dystopian remnants of Leyland Brothers World. A truly depressing place in the darkest witching hours of the soul.(So how do you drive 500km in the wet with no wipers? Rain-X and youthful stupidity carried the day; I had drinking to do up home the next day, dammit. A few days later a replacement arm was secured from a junked Pintara at nearby Brushgrove Wreckers, which was ironically where the Hornet itself met its final resting place some years later. There is a fair-to-reasonable chance that over the past week the remains of the Hornet have found themselves subjugated, and probably momentarily submerged, under the lower Clarence's short-lived expansion campaign.)
As backpackers from all over the world have discovered, Australia is designed for road trips. Visit-worthy sights are usually separated by a few hours drive at max, meaning the half-day-driving, three-days-pissing-up model of seeing the country (particularly the eastern seaboard) is National Best Practice. Brisbane to Port Douglas is a great trip for a bunch of mates in a car or van, hopping between the holiday spots - Noosa, Fraser Island, Airlie Beach, Cairns - spending a couple of days in each, sinking beers and chasing backpacker chicks. It's a trip I've wanted to do for years, ever since the Captain came back from a band trip to FNQ with tales aplenty - in fact we came close to assembling a Raiding Party to do it at the end of '99 but time, money and Yuri and the plot diverging momentarily led to the mission being canned.
However, even without the mates, the backpacker chicks or the nightly sinking of piss, road trips are still compelling, even as a solo endurance exercise - man and machine against distance, time and conditions. The Captain used to get that. He'd find himself unable to sleep and set off on ridiculous high-speed early-hours loops through the North Coast hinterland, hammering down unfamiliar roads in the darkness in whatever dodgy shitbox he was pedalling at the time just to see if and where they connected up (all roads in the North Coast hinterland eventually connect up somewhere.) I get that. Some days, you roll out of bed and you just want to drive, somewhere, anywhere. Even now, I still get that. Queenstown, Wanaka, Christchurch, even Gore.

And Gore's a fucking shithole.
The Doctor is OUT.
16 comments:
I get that. a couple of months ago i went out the get some milk and petrol. after I filled the tank up I decided to drive to Australia's eastern most point. along the scenic route. kingscliffe, hastings, pottsville... Left the BP at Virginia at about midday, got home at 1am. Thank fuck i didn't leave the iron on or something
Yeah that's a good one. The Tweed Coast's a lovely bit of the world - even when that was the main highway up to Brisbane it was a nice drive. And Byron's a bit wank but still nice - in fact that was where the Captain told his stories about the band trip which actually inspired a heroically crap novel I'm still trying to reach the end of the first draft of. Sort of combining all my favourite things - rock, beer, road trips, talking bollocks, and adventurous girlies.
Epic! I love driving on my own - but, the days of three or four guys in a car chasing snatch up or down Oz's seaboards are long gone.
Australia is crying out for a decent roadtrip novel - and the bi-curious girls sound like just the thing to give it some spark.
Love what you did with the map thing too. V beyond me!
Edward Scissorhands' wanksock - best line - will steal
Lerm - yes I'm afraid age hath wearied us, and the years condemn'd. Don't know about a decent road trip novel, but a rambling obtuse load of shite with the occasional killer fuckin' line I could probably shambles together given a bit of notice. The map - no credit to me, AJ sent me the link from Google Maps to explainify exactly what lengths he'd had to go to. Mad, mad bastard.
I may dig out some bits and pieces from the opus and post them - it was only ever v prelim first draft status but feedback's always interesting.
Doc: I've driven some of the Mt Lindsey Highway in the last 10 years, and haven't come across the unsealed bits. That's between Mt Tambourine and Accacia Ridge, of course, not further south.
Lerm: have you ever come across What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me? Not a road novel, but a road something... if you google the first four words you'll find both text and the original audio care of psychedelicatessen. About 40 minutes to listen to, but worth it many times over
actually - it wasn't the GPS that sent me down that road - it was the fact that it was the only other road open - but I got to Bonalbo - and it was closed there - and apparently at Tabulam as well. If I had've known I would've gone straight across to Warwick and come down the pristine bit of highway that is the New England (it's actually really good - and obviously very traffic free atm)
Mt Lindesay Highway is dirt after Urbenville for about 20kms - and imagine it after 150mm of rain. Pothole? Potcrater more like it.
Positives? I've never driven that far in one session - and the tiredness set in around Jackadgery (which is about 40km from Grafton) Made it feel longer than the climb to Urbenville. Secondly - Stanthorpe has an AWESOME rock station called Rebel Rock FM - who would've thought - I guess with that much yehaa cletusville types - anything that's not got a banjo in it is Rebel - but they switched from good modern rock to ACDC/Zep quicker than a Triple M powerplay - and NO ADS!
For the 2 hours I picked it up - it was fantastic. I think Stanthorpe to Tenterfield is only about 50kms - but it went in about 10 minutes seemingly.
I've picked up Rebel Rock FM!
I loved the handful of drives I've done up into the Downs. One time we stumbled across this wonderful crazy old machinery fair in Allora. In Tenterfield, didja see the Peter Allen Motor Inn, and check out the hot maracca action going on with the sign?
Erm, to quote... when I said "we", Your Worship, I was referring to myself, the three young ladies and, of course, the goat.
DOC: Nothing better than a road trip, Saturday arvo, we would all jump in two cars and blast off from NHILL, thats about 60k nth of Horsham on the western hwy to Adelaide. Head for Coleraine, then MacArthur and finally warrnambool. Back roads all the way, about warp 10 or twice the posted limit where possible. its 300odd k, watch the sprint cars at the speedway and then crank it back home. NUTTY, very nutty actually. But we've done about 4 trips to brizzy land via road, both the newel and then the new England, with the kids. I did one by myself in the SS.....WHAT A TRIP, the flats of nsw....ZOOOOOOM!, road trip with the old man and mates to the NT barra fhisn...fucking wicked.
gotta say, ya mates journey was epic, thats a fair effin effort.
That is what Mrs Stu wants to do some day hire a camper van and drive around the whole of Australia, she said she would even take the kids out of school for that one as well.
That post just shows how large Oz really is, little old Pommie land actually is with our 62 million people crammed into it. Where I am we can go coast to coast in a little over three hours and that's without speeding and a stoop for lunch on the way.
AJ, if you're reading this, you are my hero.
In college, a friend of mine and I wanted to travel on spring break, but had no money for South Padre Island (TX) or Florida....the Gulf War was going on at the time, and the free accommodations we would've gotten staying with my brother at the Pensacola naval air station were cancelled, as civilians were not allowed on the base due to the war.
So we drove to New Jersey. 1200 miles, 24 hours in the car. NJ in March isn't exactly beach weather, but my friend had never been there, so it was an adventure for him.
AJ - the GPS was blamed by Team Moff who first relayed the tale to me - yeah I'd have thought the Clarence Way was bound to be under given it's where all the water to fill the Clarence was coming from! A truly epic effort and I hope this was fitting tribute!
D - what you and the goat get up to is between you, the goat and Today Tonight.
H - sounds like the sort of Havock-Approved road trip one would expect from your good self! And the SS sounds like just the weapon! The old man has an ex-copper Falcon which gets hammered up and down the Pac Hwy fairly regularly (the now 600-odd kays to Sydney) - reckon he should get some lights for it and scare the fuck out of someone
Mr Stu - the amazing thing is, if you look at that bit of NSW on a scalable map of Aust, it's not a particularly large section of the country. It's tiny in fact. Only marginally smaller than the 48 contiguous United States but with maybe 15% the population. Grafton to the Goldie by the predominantly straight and flat coast road is only 3 hrs - just that there's this big fuck-off mountain range 150km inland running the north-south length of the country which means NOT taking the coast road (cos it's underwater) means a few twisties to negotiate.
Steve - sounds absolutely insane, which is kind of the point for a proper road trip!
Agreed - the Road Trip is truly one of the real adult satisfactions that life has to offer. My favourite time of the year is my annual pilgrimage to the Nthn Rivers and Lismore for a big gay dance party. The thing that makes it a real holiday for me isn't the days spent munting around like Baron von Muntedhausen, rather it's the gradual reclaiming of my sanity as kilometre after kilometre falls by the wayside on the long drive north.
I've used said Road Trip as an excuse for some pretty excellent side jaunts, some of them brilliant, others just plain stupid (I can advise that trying to cross the Range on an unsealed dirt road (the Dorrigo Road) in a 1.0L Daihatsu Charade is an exercise in superb clutch control)
And it's extended into my work too, where I can I prefer to drive (as opposed to fly) for meetings and conferences. For a start, you make a motza on the travel allowance and the time at the wheel is always therapeutic.
Yeah, love a good road trip. All our family holidays used to be road trip, even did the run to Perth once.
I did a fair big of work in Southern NSW a few years back. I would drive up on Monday and back on Friday. Loved the drive but was always devastated to get to the work site.
DR - you summed up the Oz road trip nicely.
Just one quickie - travelling down the Pacific Hwy we were so bored I got Johnno to read and describe the cartoons from The Telegraph. Fred Bassett, Staria, the lot. He did it with correct intonation to bring forth what was meant to be the killer tag line. We laughed uproariously to very unfunny shit.
The thing about road trips with Johnno is that he knows where all teh Pub Tabs are up and down the coast and likes to pop in and put a few bets on so we have something to listen to on the trip. We also manage to fit in two quick schooeys and a pub pie for sustenance.
That Leyland Brothers World fiasco must be one of the biggest business flops ever conceived by TV personalities. Johnno actually visited it once and described their biggest attraction as a footpath through the bush and a crappy dinghy ride.
Jase - might sound a bit bumpkin but I'm actually kinda proud of Lismore being able to host something like Trop Fruits without the Cletus element fucking it up for you guys. Probably wouldn't be able to do it in Coffs f'rinstance. Daishitsu Charade 1.0L (the Disco Bullet?) not the weapon of choice. Though my man Captain Stupidity had a banana yellow Daishitsu Handi 0.85L rollerskate (packing two cylinders of pure sewing machine grunt) which he used to pack his drumkit into and head up and down the coast with. Hence its nickname of The Drum Machine.
Naut - it's the journey not the destination that matters after all!
Therbs - that pretty much summates the LB World experience. It was shite. I think their bank loans blew out to 27% during construction so they were fucked even before the doors opened. Re stuff to listen to, tended to time road trips from the NSW north coast back to uni in Brisbane for Sunday 2-5pm in order to get Roy and HG on Triple J.
Post a Comment