In the summer of 2003/04, however, six bucks could buy you a whole lot more than any of that.
It could buy you a shirt like this.
Yep, that's a genuine six bucks' worth of glorious 100% nylon. An eyesore, a fire risk AND a danger to shipping all in the same garment. AT LOWES!There's only one thing you can do with a shirt as absolutely stellar as that. Buy a stack of them, get a bunch of your mates together and go to the cricket.
As we did.
You may remark on the particularly stellar ensemble sported by the famous Dawso (above left), wearing his example off-the-gut and tsuzjing it up with Ruggers, footy socks and microwave pizza...
...the latter being his particular remedy for the rock 'n' roll motherfucker of a hangover he'd managed to inflict upon himself the previous evening.
Dawso did have an excuse, though. He'd driven up the afternoon before from Farmadale for our flatwarming and had seen off most of a carton of barbed wire singlehandedly across the night.
Not a fuck were any of the rest of us volunteering to help, not with Actually Drinkable stuff in the Old Chateau Dodgy Brewhouse beer fridge downstairs (concealed behind the profoundly offensive 'Colour Chart' poster adhered to the front of same.)
And there wasn't much sympathy from Your Correspondent either. The 16th of Jan was the last day of my PhD, the last day of my four years and one day in the lab. Not that any of that one day was actually spent in the lab, not once the uni bar (then the Red Room, now the Second Degree) opened. Cruel and evil people bought cruel and evil drinks - the Doc's top tip: while the idea of black Sambucca shots and Strongbow Dry may repulse on their own, combining them depth-charge style does not serve to make them any less revolting - and good times were had by all. I think. Next day, Jan 17th, was our flatwarming for the new place at Mitre St. And Jan 18th was the Australia-India ODI. Having been responsible for coming up with this woefully over-optimistic and liver-punishing schedule in the first place, Your Correspondent wasn't getting much sympathy either.
If not sympathy I did at least have empathy for Dawso. I'd been pretty hungover on cricket missions before and it's not a fabulous way to start the day, crammed into a swaying bendy-bus nose-to-armpit with a bunch of other pre-loaded game-goers as it charges headlong down the Gabba busway. At the test in November it'd been midway through the middle session before I could look at a warm cup of XXXX Gold without blanching. They hadn't invented THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA yet so I was at a loss as to what to bellow at myself in order to harden the fuck up. Then again at the best of times Your Correspondent struggles to look at anything carrying a XXXX logo without feeling ill.
With certain exceptions.For his part, Dawso went into the smallest room at Mitre St and bellowed for Hughie, Ralph and Bert. None of them turned up, not that we had tickets spare anyway, so we decided to fuck off to the game.
India won the toss and batted. Craigos lost the toss and had to get the first round in. While the Injuns proceeded to paste the impotent Australian attack across the perimeter hoardings, we set about trying to assemble the biggest beer snake in the history of the world. Or at least our row. We were assisted in our quest by our neighbours for the eve, the Symmos.
No, not him. Though he'd have helped had he known.
Them.Our man Tem (above with the Symmos) joined us from the Gold Coast, a late call-up to the Team Yobbo train-on squad. Entirely by chance he'd turned up in a nearly-matching, almost-as-awful shirt as the rest of us. We didn't know whether to celebrate or mourn this development, so we kept on drinking.
Although the narrow confines of Gabba Zoo Section meant finding somewhere safe and unkickoverable to put down your beer made for a few awkward moments.
Haydos got a hometown hundred in Australia's dig. Unfortunately by this stage we were chasing more than three times that, largely thanks to Brett Fucken Lee bowling a bucket of gutter slop disguised as right-arm-over and being hit for the best part of a century himself. In his last over, as he'd closed on three figures with not a sniff of a wicket to his name, the crowd began to chant 'Bi-chel, Bi-chel, Bi-chel..." He took a wicket with his final ball, to resounding ironic applause and further chants of 'Now fuck off and let Bichel back in the team you fucken useless New South Wales cunt'. Which, I'll admit, was vaguely hypocritical considering Your Correspondent is also from NSW, and is quite possibly also a cunt, but I wasn't prepared to recile from my comments then or now.
Anyway, Straya fell short by twenty-odd, not that we gave much of a toss by this stage in proceedings, and we toddled off to do battle with the bus queue. By this time Dawso had found his second through eleventh winds and seemed to have drunken flashbacks to rugby bus trips with the mighty Yamba Buccaneers, leading the tribe through hearty renditions of such classics as 'A Man Came Down From The Coconut Grove'...
...and that great standby of the drunken bus trip, 'I Wish That All The Ladies'.I WISH THAT ALL THE LAY-DEEEEZ
(echoed) I wish that all the ladies
WERE HOLES IN THE ROAD
Were holes in the road.
AND I WAS THE DUMPTRUCK
And I was the dumptruck
I'D FILL EM WITH ME LOAD.
I'd fill em with me load.
To their credit, most of the other sweaty Gabba escapees on the bus seemed amused. Those who weren't horrified at least. And it was an improvement on a previous post-cricket bus trip, where Moff's mate Petersen hung his arse out the window for half the length of the CBD.
I WISH THAT ALL THE LAY-DEEEZ
I wish that all the ladies
WERE WAVES ON THE OCEAN
Were waves on the ocean.
AND I WAS THE SURFER
And I was the surfer
I'D RIDE EM WITH A MOTION.
I'd ride em with a motion.
Reasonably tame. Heard worse at school camps. (Made up worse at school camps.) And then he lost us with one we'd not heard before:
I WISH THAT ALL THE LAY-DEEEZ
I wish that all the ladies
WERE COWS ON A FARM.
Were cows on a farm.
AND I WAS THE FARMER...
Um, where's he going with this?
I'D FUCK EM WITH ME ARM.
(gallery loses it completely)
The evil look in Dawso's eye tells you trouble is brewing. The look in Craigos' just tells you three days on the piss was Time Gentlemen Please and it was time to fuck off home. So we did.To drink more piss.

So THAT's where my fuckin' liver got to.
The Doctor is OUT.
15 comments:
A good time had by all...
An educational post Dr Y!
Great photos, wonderful commentary and cricket to boot.
My high school was just up from the gabba - and if you wore your uniform you could get on to the Hill for free, for Sheffield Sheild games. I love the place. The old Aussie Nat for the win - fuck the bus ride home!
As a minor factual correction - Dawso is wearing Canters - not Ruggers. As an adopted Kiwi you would no doubt appreciate this *ducks fist*
I WISH ALL THE LAY-DEEEEZ
WERE BUNS IN AN OVEN
AND I WAS A BAKER
I'D FILL EM WITH ME LOVIN
Great Post
All we had in college were fraternity songs where we suggested members of rival fraternities engaged in incest with their mothers and/or dealt drugs.
Our chants at hockey games were either saying the other team sucked (played to the ubiquitous organ music), or suggesting an opposing player enjoyed anal sex. From the receiving point of view.
Yours are much better, but I would be in the same position you were with the farmer/cow one.
Ahh the classics
BBA - I think so anyway, if it weren't for the photos and the Cricinfo match report I'd be stuffed remembering any of it. No way could I put together three days on the turpentine like that anymore.
Cheers U - there was another one in between as well (OK it was just me recycling old spam titles about knob extension but there was gratuitous Zhang Ziyi in a wet clingy top, always Win to the power of lots). And dont fear I pledge to use my powers for good. I don't have a massive prob with private schools per se but the exclusionary self-association really fucks me off. Not going to one of the North Shore schools in Sydney meant half my first year class at New South wasn't prepared to talk to me. Then again it could have been the inveterate swearing or the poor hygiene.
Lerm - you're right on Dawso's attire, it'd have been his footy shorts from playing college rugby up at UNE. And yup we ran through the whole gamut of our wishes for all the ladies. Though our favourite, and most successful singalong effort was Derek and Clive's 'Jump', which goes a little like this:
(sotto voce)
As I was walking down the street one day
I saw a house on fire
There was a man
Shoutin' and screamin' from an upper storey window
To the crowd that was gathered there below
For he was sore afraid
"Jump, you fucker jump
Jump into this 'ere blanket
What we are holdin'
And you will be all right."
He jumped
Hit the deck
Broke his fucking neck
There was no blanket
Laugh?
We nearly shat
We had not laughed so much
Since Grandma died
Or Auntie Mabel caught her left tit in the mangle
We
Are miserable sinners
Fi-i-ilthy fuckers
Arse Holes.
Steve - yup we had all the Insert Name Takes It Up The Arse chants going on - for Oktoberfest one year (a big pissup at UNSW) we even had my mate Yuri (half Austrian, half Russian, all class) translate it into German for the purposes of sledging the college next door.
Barnesm - yup, we're all class, and we all went to state schools. Apart from Moff, but he's from Trashmore.
We have to find you a spot in the bleachers at Wrigley Field for a Cubs game. You'd fit right in. Wear the shirt.
We were singing the 'I Wish All The Ladies' jody call when we ran the track in high school phys ed-a loooong time ago. Good times.
Great pics!
ROTFLMAO!!!!
At both the post and the comments.
I have nothing to add except that Brett Lee is the Anna Kournikova of cricket.
YD - I'm there. Even though cricket and baseball are often portrayed as completely different sports (usually the fans of one deride the other) I reckon they're two sides of the same coin in terms of the spectator experience - long games, lots of beer, lots of hot dogs, lots of crowd interaction. All good.
Naut - one difference - you'd still bang Anna, even if you were thinking about Sharapova at the time. Actually looking at our bowling attack on the day it's no surprise we got smashed all over the park - Blee and something called a Brad Williams were our pace spearheads (the latter adding yet more proof to our longstanding Brad Cock Theory) and Ian Harvey, international cricket's premier no-rounder (ie shit at everything) got carted for six an over as well.
I think people would look at me funny if I sung a song about the Aussie infantry.
Just give it your best Paul Hogan accent!
This is fucking gold. Great match report and pics. Cricinfo is a gem innit? Generally I remember ten parts of fuck all about a day-nighter so I need Cricinfo to help me out with the cricket facts.
Beer snakes FTW.
Love the ditties.
Lerm - that infantry one is a crack up.
Steve - latterly we tended to just bastardise 'Stacey's Mom' by Fountains of Wayne (think that was the band name) - the one with Rachel 'MILF' Hunter in the filmclip - along the lines of 'Yuri's mom has got it going on, she's all I want and I've waited for so long...' Advantage of same was that it was relatively clean, at least until we started making up new verses.
Therbs - cheers mate - I wasn't too sure about doing this as it's just a bunch of old badly scanned photos of us on the turps, but I see it's found an audience. There's probably enough material in the topic of grotty cricket/rugby/army chants for another standalone post - which would be ironic as THIS post was a spinoff from my attempt to explain how or why we ended up wearing all those fucking awful Hawaiian shirts in one of the Teenage Lobotomy photos.
Just thinking that infantry one quality though it is, kinda lends weight to half the lunatic opinions that whinging tosser from Blunty the other day was perpetuating about all soldiers being kiddie rapists and granny killers...
The one I've been trying to find on the interwebs, and failing, was A Man Came Down From The Coconut Grove ('he was a mean motherfucker you could tell by his clothes') - I'm sure it was an army march before it was a rugby song, probably old as the hills, but it was a good one.
The Virgin Sturgeon is the ne plus ultra of rugger songs (Abdul a bul Emir comes close though)
Caviar comes from the virgin sturgeon,
The virgin sturgeon's a very fine fish,
The virgin sturgeon needs no 'urgin,
That's why caviar is my dish.
I gave caviar to my girl friend,
she was a virgin tried and true,
Ever since she had that caviar,
There 'aint nothing she won't do,
I gave caviar to my grandpa,
Grandpa's age is ninety three,
The very next time I saw my grandpa,
He'd chased grandma up a tree
etc..
Best. Post. Ever!
Post a Comment