Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Staying Onatopp of things

The slow agonising death of the Amiga meant PC gaming was all she wrote for Your Correspondent during uni - interfloor college Worms and Rally Challenge tournaments to the fore - but the advent of the consoles meant it wouldn't be limited to that. At The Hovel in the late 90s we took a long time to pick a side, finally joining the Nintendo 64 side of the argument rather than the Playstation posse. Playstations were cheaper, had more games and generally seemed a lot less Michael Mouse, Sony's developers not being psychopathically obsessed with subbing the fat Italian plumber into every fucking platform they bashed out. However, N64 had one advantage the PS1 (as it later became known) lacked. Genuine multiplayer ability. And soon thereafter, the best multiplayer game ever developed: N64 Goldeneye 007.

It's easy to forget with the modern solidity of the Bond franchise that Goldeneye (the fillum) turned up at a time when the 007 story looked like petering out to a fairly pathetic conclusion. The two Timmy Dalton Bond flicks at the end of the '80s had been a'ight, but nothing much worth writing home to Moneypenny over, and they'd followed on from some very fucking dire mid-80s efforts with a fat, aging Roger Moore poncing his way through the dreary likes of A View To A Kill. By the time Goldeneye came out it'd been six years since the last installment - and for certified Bond-heads like Your Correspondent, who spent much of calendar year 1995 reading every 007 book Ian Fleming wrote (instead of focusing on arguably more pressing issues such as studying for the HSC), it was just as well that the new installment was significantly fucking stellar. It had a proper, hard-edged Bond, an interesting, believable villain (basically Bond's evil twin), a swathe of hotties (in particular the carnivorously seductive Xenia Onatopp), explodey goodness by the metric shitload, and Robbie Coltrane as a fat Russian mafia don. What's not to like?

Goldeneye the game came several years after the movie, by which stage you'd be forgiven for thinking the steam would have gone out of the merch deal long ago and the whole souffle would have been distinctly deflated. Yeah but no but. It was absolutely stellar. Gameplay, graphics and gunwork was all top notch, and best of all it was even better as a multiplayer enterprise than as a single person undertaking. Much like sex, just with more oddly-shaped coloured plastic (unless you're doing it very differently to the rest of us.) I said in the Amiga gaming post (to which this is basically Part Two) that it was probably the best game EVAAAAAARRRRR and if I was about to change my position on it I'd hardly have gone on so fucking long about it already wouldn't I.

The weapons, an obvious and absolute requirement for a decent FPSer, were oresome. Armalite rifles and grenade launchers and frickin' lasers and all kinds of good lovin'. The best weapon, though, was the simplest. In a couple of single-player levels, most memorably the one based around busting out of the Russkie military barracks unarmed and single handed, you got the DD43 Dostovei pistol in your hot little hand as soon as you dropped the first official-looking dude in the interrogation room. No great shakes that, not on its lonesome anyhoo. But paired with another, identical Dossie in your other hand... can I get a WOOOOOOO!!!! As in the finest work of one Johnny WOOOOOOO!!!! back in the day in Hong Kong action flicks, which usually involved Chow Yun Fat busting up baddies and bits of scenery with a nine mill in each chubby paw, accompanied by stratospheric levels of win. Opening and concluding the case for the Crown, 1992's Hard Boiled. See it or die tryin'.

Sadly the Johnny WOOOOOOO!!!! option wasn't available on multiplayer mode, which was where the various N64s seconded to the various sharehouses in which I lived throughout the late Nineties and early Noughties usually found themselves parked upon. However, next best thing was opting for one-shot one-kill mode ('Licence to Kill') and weapon-opting for Pistols - the Dossie, Bond's trusty PP7 and Dirty Harry's .44 Cougar Magnum, aka the Hand Cannon, whose awesome hit-power advantage over the others was of no use whatsover. Given the thing reloaded with the alacrity of a council worker on smoko it was almost spectacularly useless - you could loose the entire magazine of the others in the time it took to persuade two or three rounds out of the Magnum. However, claiming a face-to-face kill with the Magnum gave you bragging rights that lasted long beyond the end of the game in question.

The main advantage of one-shot-kills was it meant relative newcomers to the game - sharehouse guests over for beers, pizza and random violence - didn't get fucked over by not having committed all the levels and the placements of armour and 'power weapons' (the really heavy duty shit - the Magnum on Pistols, the D5K Deutsche on Automatics, grenade/rocket launchers, frickin' lasers etc.) Of course when the visitors left or crashed the local pros came out to play - Craigos, Yuri and I knew the stages, knew where to camp and what to farm, and generally what was the best method of completely fucking each other off to the point of chucking toys and going for a sulk, or at least downstairs to the Brewroom (aka the garage, where we had a couple of dodgy old couches set up) for a beer. We tended to keep our sense of humour about picking levels though. Like selecting Rocket Launchers for playing the Archives, which were basically a series of very narrow straight corridors and possibly the dumbest place ever to consider firing a rocket-propelled explosive device. Tossing Proximity Mines around like confetti - particularly with the aim of blowing up someone on the toilet in the Facility stage - was another example of Chateau Dodgy Best Practice.

While there were some seriously awesome weaps - haven't even got to the ZMG machine pistol which like the D5K Douche was louder than God taking a dump or the KF-7 Kalashnikov ripoff or the AR-33 Armalite or the oresomely oresome oresomness of the sniper rifle - just as sure as Jack Newton swims in circles, there were some dud weapons too. The Hand Cannon on one-shot-kills, obviously. And the gold standard in crap weapons, the crappest weapon in the long and storied history of first person shooters - a Russian-issue automatic called the Klobb. It sounded like a staple gun. In fact it pretty much WAS a fucking staple gun, just without the capacity for injuring people. It had a pitiful twenty-round mag (half that of the directly-competing Douche), the entire contents of which would often be insufficient to relieve an opponent of their body armour let alone their health points, particularly if they were waving a Dossie or a Douche in opposition to your world view. It was laughably poor. Based on the Czech Skorpion machine pistol, a besmirchment over which the Czechs should sue, the Klobb was named after Ken Lobb, one of the game's designers, who everyone must have secretly hated and/or thought was fucking shit at his job.

Everyone had their favourite characters. The version we had at Chateau Dodgy in St Lucia (as distinct from the original at the Hovel in Randwick) was ex-Theft Converters and most of the weapons, cheats and additional characters had been unlocked, with the result that noone was so predictable or gauche as to pick Bond himself. Craigos went for the maniacally grinning Siberian guard; Yuri chose the primary Bond Shag, Natalya, figuring we'd shoot him less due to chivalry (wrong) and/or being marginally shorter would provide a competitive advantage (also wrong, now that our standard crosshair aiming height was now a headshot rather than a chest shot.) Me? I went for this guy - the Seedy Scientist. I mean, who the fuck else would you pick? Sure the labcoat was a bit dogs-balls-on-a-goldfish at middle distances but hey, when you're rolling with mad FPS skillz like mine you gots to bring yourself back to the pack somehow.

That's bollocks, of course. I'm 'King Arse at FPS games, probably because Goldeneye's the only one I've ever really been engaged by - possibly because of the Bond link, probably because of the oresomeness of the game itself. Finishing Goldeneye in single-player mode was up there with finishing Lemmings in terms of personal achievement, and probably didn't take a lot fewer years to do. Now, of course, the gaming world has long since moved on from the N64 - Nintendo having released another couple of failed consoles in the interim until striking gold again with the Wii - and from N64 Goldeneye, although a core community of fanboys seem to have kept the dream alive with sites like GoldeneyeForever.com (from where most of the above images were, um, borrowed.)

In conclusion: N64 Goldeneye was, to quote Spiderbait, fucken awesome.

Now go and rent Hard Boiled. Seriously.

The Doctor is OUT.

12 comments:

uamada said...

being incredibly pov during the early nineties and then being all caught up in trying to pretend i was a literate intellectual during the late nineties I missed this one... BUT one of my most pervading images i have in my head is of a two yr old reported in the Sunday mail (and ACA) who was a goldeneye freak. His parents(the stereotypical under achiever types) said "well at least he stays quiet". EVERYTIME anybody mentions kids and gaming i think about that image and shudder. A vacant eyed kid, bottle hanging out of his mouth, dressed in only a nappy, controller that looked almost as wide as his chest.

(good post - i wish i had your descriptive abilities)

Domestic Daze said...

I like tetris.
Space invaders was a bit before my time.

Ok, I'm going now..........

Moko 2.0 said...

Jesus. Pot didn't really come into it then eh?. Wicked write up.

I went the 'Way of The Playstation' after my Amiga 500 with the 500 meg UPGRADE went Kaput. My friend got an Amiga 1200 and I thought he was Da Shiznit, in fact, so did he, so you'll have to forgive my running round the street with my shirt over my head whilst laughing my tits off when I heard Commodore went 'toes up' 3 months later.

He was an arsehole.

Why WAS second Playstation called PS1 when the first wasn't?...

My first sentence in this offering to your awesomeness of an entry sums up why I can't really remember the details of what did it for me but really, I think it was all of them. I grew with video games. They've ALWAYS been in the fore of my psyche so I think that's why I'm still a nutter over them.

It's funny, but with the time and money that's gone into the industry really nothing has changed. The basic premise is still the same as it was with Space Invaders.

Havock21 said...

MATE, bloody hell, good post.Yeah started wiff a commodore 64 playing an attack helo game, graphics sucked, then found some WW3 gig in Europe ya could play at a strategic level, moving these little red and blue dots denoting units against each other, US 1st Armoured into the maw of the 651st guards Armoured tank regi and 265th First shock army. DAM I loved that game.

we grabbed the N64 as well and i do remember the little monsters screamin around on it, for me, I struggled to get outta the ships hold form mem, and I suspect this was the Golden eye game, we got another one at a much later date and to be honest I really cannot recall what platform it was on, one segment you have to get across the snow covered open barracks area to the aircraft, I was never really sure on whether i should blow the fucker up or not. Either way, I fucking sucked at that game, enjoyed it, but was bloody hopeless to be sure.

As for the BOND films, well the eldest fella thinks they be wicked, but then again, thats a kid who could probably tell you all the covers and Albums of AC/DC, JBarnes, Oils and christ knows what else, he has a retro streak a mile god dam wide. makes tunes in the car somewhat easier as I do not have to listen to all the NEW FUCKING SHIT OUT. I digress however.

Now for me, well I can sit down all god dam day and watch BOND, spesh as its now playable in surround and crank dat baby up. Team games at home, hell yes, we ventured the other way some years ago and it was Colin Mcrae rally, but fuck me If i didn't lurrrv the NZ stages, mud sleet and snow and shit and whatever the hell else the game chucked at ya.

Steve said...

I loved Goldeneye when it hit the theaters, and was convinced Pierce Brosnan saved the franchise (which he did), and felt that Sean Bean made one of the best bad guys. God I loved that movie.

And then, years later, I'm in Blockbuster, looking for a video to rent, and I see they have Goldeneye on the N64. And next to it, you could actually rent the N64 itself.

Done and done.

I took the game and the rental unit home (umm, my nephew is coming to visit, so when is this due back?) and played it for approximately 38 hours in a 48 hour weekend.

Until the Medal of Honor series came out, Goldeneye was my favoritest video game of all time. I may have even turned down sex in order to keep playing it.

mr-stu said...

I loved how games could take away endless hours of your life, a bit like Blogger and Twitter do now in some sense.

Mrs Stu was also big into games as well although she was into the more non-violent games and the like while I loved like Steve, the Medal of Honour, games that are still going now. The best multi-player game I liked just had to be Bomberman, it's simple and was just so addictive and was great when there were two of you or more.

Dr Yobbo said...

U - you missed out man, it was ORESOME. Sad about the kid. Some people, to paraphrase TISM, are best regarded as an argument for compulsory sterilization.

DD - sums up how I feel about the state of gaming right now!

Moko - nah never used to smoke, but usually had a chilled beverage to hand for rehydration purposes of course. We had a 500+ and a 2000, had a few mates with 1200s (as mentioned in the other post). I think 'PS1' was the sort of Playstation one-and-a-half that Sony released as a POV special when they brought out the PS2 - tried to improve the multiplayer abilities too I think - I remember playing TOCA touring cars on a mate's PS1 thinking 'Another two controllers here and we'd be getting somewhere.' We had the Rally Championship series rather than Colin McCrash - in a way they were the successors to the Lotus series on the Amiga, same developers - but did give McCrash a bash on occasion and was hugely impressed. He was a fkn legend. A mad bastard but a good one.

Hav - remember that game from a mate's PC in the very early 90s - Axis vs Allies sort of thing. The snow/barracks stage does sound like Goldeneye, trying to get into the Severnaya HQ to nick the Goldeneye key. Lots of Kalasnikov vs Spetznaz action.

Steve - Goldeneye would have to be my favourite Bond film, seen it six or seven times (though have a soft spot for Live and Let Die since it's so over the top - particularly the boat chase with the Yeehaa Cletus sherriff) - the same dude directed Casino Royale as well. We got the N64 sequel to Goldeneye, The World Is Not Enough (not the same developers though) and left it on for the entire week we'd hired it for. Largely because we'd maxed out our memory capacity and couldn't save our progress. It was a'ight but no Goldeneye.

Mr Stu - yeah games were an integral part of sharehouse life. Beers, babes (talking about them far more than ever landing them of course), gaming and talking rubbish. Wouldn't have swapped it for quids.

LERMONTOV said...

I'm going to have to try this video game caper. The mates place where I play poker had one of those Wii's - was pretty good fun. After reading this - I may just commit.

The photos of the garage are unreal!

I didn't think that the 140 word limit of Twitter cld contain you long!

And if I spend all day on the Wii - then I blame you!

Dr Yobbo said...

Wiis are pretty cool. Games are a bit noddy - Nintendo was always the home of cutesy cringeworthy guff, from the fat Italian plumber onwards - but the controller gimmick works, definitely. Played a bit of drunken Wii staying at Craigos' joint last year on my 30th birthday pisshead tour. As usual he was better than me but I played my way into contention through sledging and making sure his beer was topped up.

Yeah that garage... fucken awesome. That whole house was. Must tell that story sometime - the final part of our intermittent Fucken Tops Sharehouses series. I sense another Entire Post Based On Someone's Comment On The Previous Post coming up.

Therbs said...

Speaking of tetris, well, DD mentioned it, anyways I got a digital set top box and the fucker has games on it. One of which is Tetris. I'm gonna smack down the makers and ask them why the gould they couldn't put Goldeneye on the goulding thing.
Anyone wanna buy an N64? With Goldeneye?

AJ said...

best one ever would be the shot from the bottom of the staircase that took out the guy hiding behind the glass in OSOK mode. If I remember on a CRT television at the time - you were aiming at less than 1 dot across :P

Dr Yobbo said...

Therbs - don't taunt us like that - actually I heard there was going to be an updated XBox Live version of Goldeneye coming out but Microsoft and Nintendo couldn't agree on commercial terms. Bastards.

AJ - foully remiss of me not to count you among the 'local pros' Sir, given you were camped on the couch many a long weekend visit, giving it furious amounts of large with the rest of us. Reminds me we first played N64 Goldeneye in the Hovel in Randwick in about 98 - on flatmate Jase's 34 inch CRT - can't imagine how we saw two fifths of fuck all on four-player split screen with that shit. I ended up buying a Samsung 51' with the money I'd saved for an aborted trip up the coast with Yuri et al which was much appreciated by all concerned. Of course the Rodent dropped GST the year after and I could have got it for nearly half the fucken price. Still it was oresome for N64. Ended up selling the teev to Wankerless (he called himself Juan Carlos), a punishing PhD student from Koopslab, for $80.