Thursday, August 13, 2009

America: f**k yeah

What's doing. This post follows on from two others - one of mine where I went on and on and bloody ON about my thing for old-school US and Australian muscle cars of the late '60s and early '70s; and one of YDog's where he took his camera through an Iowan antique car museum and snapped a bunch of cool old stuff vintaged up to the 50s. As a response I thought I'd dig out this lot of photos of some more recent American iron from earlier in the year.

But first let me introduce you to a friend of mine.

This is Monster version 1.0. He's the good looking one.
Back on the first weekend in March, on a sunny Saturday afternoon (back when there WAS SUN in Dunedin, for fuck's sake), he and I rocked up to the the 20th annual USA Day, a showcase of American muscle cars and the like, held at the Tahuna Park showgrounds near St Kilda beach. Never been before and was astonished by the scale of the thing. Fill a football ground to bursting with rows of parked, gleaming US iron from throughout the 20th century - but mostly from the US muscle car heyday of the 60s/70s - turn on the sunshine and the BBQ, and there's your prescription for a Good Day. (Going to the Super 14/Shihad double-bill at Carisbrook after dark was a pretty epic, if deafening, ending - but that's another story entirely.)

First-gen Camaros are my pick of the US muscle car oeuvre. Dunno why. Maybe it's because they're something of an American equivalent of the same-era HK-HG Monaro GTS, my favourite out of the locals (apart from maybe the LJ Torana XU1... or the A9X hatch... or one of the early Brock HDT Commodores... or a VH Charger R/T...)

Or maybe it's just 'cos I've got the shirt to match. The MC5: Detroit's other great fire-breathing, high-octane export of the late '60s.

Couple more Gen I Camaros, early and late vintage. This gives a hint of the scale of the thing - here we're about midway across the paddock and the scene stretchs right to the edge of the dunes. Not bad for a town of a hundred thousand. Car clubs from all over the land contribute to the festivities, of course.

They weren't exactly short of Camaros, anyway.

Or 'Vettes.
Or 'Stangs. Or GTOs. Or Mopars. Or even the odd AMC Javelin.

Fair representation of Dodge Challengers too. To be honest I reckon the Challenger would have been largely forgotten by the passage of time had it not been for two things - one, the movie Vanishing Point (and the Audioslave music vid tribute which came out a few years back), and two, Dodge releasing a fucking awesome remake of the thing, in line with Ford exhuming the Mustang and GM the Camaro.

It's Deep Purple, it's from 1972 and it's heavy metal. Would that make it Machine Head?

Plymouth Superbird behind M1 there - best known these days for its role in Pixar's Cars. You can't tell I'm a parent yeah?

'Starsky and Hutch' Ford Torino. A God-awful fugly lump of shite, but still cool. In a God-awful fugly kind of way.

Generation II Camaro. Not as cool as the first gen, but this particular one was pretty tidy.

Original Pontiac Goat (as distinct from the Monaro-based thing they were selling more recently). Though M1 more interested in something over THERE.

Or over THERE maybe? '78 Corvette Stingray (not really as painfully shiny-white as this, M1 just kindly smeared his fingers across the lens at some stage before the day's proceedings) with a early '70s Plymouth GTX.

Plenty of Ford stuff of course, just didn't photograph it because (a) Fords are ghey and (b) there's only so many pristine '65 Mustang Fastbacks you can look at before going 'How much for one again?' There's a dealer in South D that seems to specialise in them, the bastard. Anyway, two alternative takes on Blue Ovaldom - a Shelby Cobra and a NASCAR Thunderbird from the late 80s. Both probably replicas but who cares.

Original 1970 Challenger R/T in Hemi Orange. Just like M1's favourite Hot Wheels car (though technically that's a newbie.)

Bit over the 'Vettes now.

Plymouth Barracuda with a 383 Hemi and a plutonium-green paintjob. See this one around town occasionally. Numberplate reads 'SAVGAS' (suffixed in small text with 'FOR ME TO USE')

This was our (my) favourite - a '68 Camaro SS 350, gold with black GT stripes. Want. Now. That or the shiny black Z28 from the T-shirt photo.

Time to go now. Bye bye!

The Doctor is OUT.

15 comments:

yankeedog said...

Outstanding!!

There's some fine iron there! New Zealand likes its Camaros, it appears.

A good display and fine pics!

Steph said...

All very drool worthy indeed! And what a cute lil spud your son is.

I'd STILL take the Gran Torino over the majority of bullshit they're crankin' out these days.

Moko 2.0 said...

Wicked awesome. I love the Wintersun here on the G'coast. Could sit there for days looking at them.

...finally put a face to the names...bravo.

Jennicki said...

Aww! I love the pics--you both are so adorable!

If you ever make your way over to this side of the world, you should check out the Gilmore Car Museum here. It's pretty awesome I hear (have never been myself even though it's nearby):

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

Dr Yobbo said...

YD - yup, and plenty of Stangs too. Probably should have taken more photos. Ran into my old boss there who had an '85 Mustang which she brought over from Canada, wasn't showing it off though (more of a daily driver.) Most days I drive past a dealer which has a couple of first-gen Mustangs parked in the front of its showroom... very nice.

Heidi - if obliged to take Blue Oval produce I reckon I'd go local and go for an Australian Falcon GTHO Phase III - which will make less than no sense to anyone Stateside but you'll have to take my word for it that they were amazing. Original ones get auctioned off for hundreds of thousands over here.

Moko - yeah I reckon you need sunshine and lots of it to really appreciate the colours and the shapes of these old beasts, particularly the Aussie stuff of the '70s which usually left the factory in a lairy succession of oranges, yellows, purples and greens. Looks great under the bright Goldie sun no doubt. The infamous 'Atomic Mandarin iridescent metalflake orange Torana GTR which looms large in In The Worst Possible Taste was based on an awesome looking LJ Torana XU1 I saw on Surfers Esplanade one weekend years back while down there chasing girls and alcomohols (though only successfully capturing one of the above.)

Jen - not too sure about the adorable. He's adorable. Me less so. Actually him less so considering he's been up with a tummy bug most of the night, but he's on the improve now.

Domestic Daze said...

There is nothing today that matches a good old fashioned muscle car. Never will be.

Therbs said...

Love dey dem muscle machines. Good to see the young'un is being shown Good Things.
I'd go the XU1. Legend. Can't forget about the Charger. Even though I thought Valiants are crap the Chargers were, well, Chargers. Difficult to explain.
Nice nod to YD's car expo as well.

LERMONTOV said...

Jesus!

Some slick machines!

Monster will now have a car addiction by the age of 6!

Therbs said...

Hey Doc - here's my tips for Bedes' porn page

This week Therbs be mainly tipping:

Stoke - apparently they were okay in the 70's and then went crap and now they're back up again

Hawforn
Maggpie cunts
Weagles
Bucket Bong Brisbane
Fuckin' Bloods - Rooooos
Frefuckingmantle
Pigs Arse Blues
Suspect Sex

Oxford Tavern in Petersham? Full of lovely lasses who take their clothes off in front of pissed blokes who like to say "Phwwooaarrrr!". Petersham does howver have some fine Portuguese feed bags, some of which are called Pastelerias or some fucking thing and they make those tasty mo fo little custard tarts. And you can probably find a good plate of Clams Cataplana, but probably not as good as the shiznit served up in The Fastnet Bar in Albufeira. Custard tarts I say? Well that brings us back to the Oxford Tavern which staged an existential strip version of the fridge scene from Felafel, back in 2002.
Next week I'll be on Ios doing a casting call for the Felafel play which I aim to stage in Hooton Pagnell at The Hostel. By gum. or maybe not.

Dr Yobbo said...

Daze - true, probably as much because of modern design regulations as anything else. Safety and crash protection concerns mean that there's so much weight built into the things they can't be light and hideously powerful any more.

Therbs - tips in. Re the Valiants, I believe they were hamstrung by various head-up-arse decisions of Chrysler US ref what Chrysler Aust should do. The Charger was more of a skunkworks project on a shorter wheelbase which was why it worked. Then again the Hemi Pacer was a decent device. The latter makes an appearance in ITWPT though a fair way down the line.

Lerm - too late, he's sick in bed at the moment watching Top Gear DVDs. Makes a change from the same old Bob the Builder and Thomas the Tank Engine ones on repeat!

Michael barnes said...

Where'd the hat go?


ohh there it is, its back.

great day out.

Steve said...

I was always partial to the original Firebird myself. Identical to the Camaro, but for some reason preferred Pontiac over Chevy.

But, when it all came down to it, my favorite cars were Porsches, Mercedes, and Jaguars. European all the way. Raised on Bond films, my fantasies were always about taking turns at high speed in a coupe on a windy mountain road, late for a game of Baccarat in Monte Carlo, rather than going all-out at Bonneville.

Anonymous said...

Damn I have got to get here sooner. Great photos. Still hope to get my own 71 Boss Stang one day, but I'd settle for a suitably worked XC Cobra.
Cheers!

Dr Yobbo said...

Barnes - yeah the continuity guy had the day off I'm afraid.

Steve - interesting point - I guess my favourites were both the local muscle cars (eg the Brock Commodores of the 80s for the Aussies reading) and the Euro exotics (though more the Italians than the Germans, bearing out our respective racial heritages.) Thing about the Australian stuff was that unlike the US stuff which was borne out of a need to homologate parts for stock car racing in the late 60s (eg why the 426/427ci motors were so common) and hence didn't need to work on twisty roads, the Australian equivalent was touring car racing on tracks like Mt Panorama at Bathurst which meant the production cars had to handle well out of the box, as the basis for the race cars.

Drej - yeah sounds like fairly good selections from the Blue Oval side. But an XA GT would be cool too.

Havock21 said...

yeah I'm kinda well and fkn truly over Vettes, HATE the fkn things, I'd have a transam before a vette and I hate those fkrs too. Sept with a young spanky Sally fields in the passenger seat.

YA right, the dodge in tannies, was fkn wicked, pure sex on wheels. Been a closet Valiant man for a long time, love the RT and really likes the Pace series to. Remember an uncle had one..went like fuck!. Good show. good to see the young fella being indoctrinated early on too!..lol