To the news of the week:
Les Paul passes away aged 94.To be buried in sunburst maple coffin with trapezoidal pickups.
What, too soon?
I don't play guitar and what I know about guitars is mainly through rock-fan osmosis or from research done for In The Worst Possible Taste. But I know enough to know that the Gibson Les Paul IS rock music. As much, if not more so, than its great rival (if inanimate creations of wood and steel can be gratuitously anthropomorphised to the extent of having rivals) the Fender Stratocaster. Think Rock And/Or Roll and you the distinctive curve of a Les Paul or the pointy bits of a Strat. Or maybe the even pointer bits of a SG, or the flat-out hair-metal stupidity of a Flying V or an X-Plorer. Point is, you might not know the names, and nor could you be arsed finding them out unless you were writing a novel about a slightly second-hand alternative rock performer of the early Naughties, but you know the shapes and silhouettes: Angus Young (the real one) sweating over his red SG, Hendrix playing his left-handed-strung Strat backwards, upside-down and with his teeth; Pete Townshend windmilling his Les Paul Special on the way to industrial deafness and possibly a shoulder reconstruction.
So, in short: the Gibson Les Paul and its dodgy knockoffs was, is and evermore will remain Rock and Roll. Les Paul himself did much more than just give his name to a kick-arse rick guitar, but London to a brick it's what his name will live forever for.

Just like that Irish bloke who used to work for Fender, Strat O'Caster.
Of course, the best forum in which to hear Mr Paul and Mr O'Caster's legacies employed in the manner to which they were intended is to listen to modern rock radio. Nah, just kidding. Find your local classic rock station and glue the dial knob there and there only. Or, move to New Zealand, which appears to have not one but TWO high-quality nationally syndicated rock FM stations. Which, at my last count, was two more than Australia had. (Sorry Nat.) The imaginatively named The Rock FM takes the role of the New Rock station, while Radio Hauraki, previously a classic rock station, has aggressively repositioned itself in The Rock's face with a much recenter(erer) playlist, while still cranking the legendary shit it built its demographic on (Stones, Who, Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath.) FM radio may be the last bastion of Gen X, given that the fluoro-clad nuff nuffs of Y have, like, too short an attention span for, like... oh look is that totally like Andrew G from Idol?
I've learned new things too since I've started listening to the radio again.
I had NO IDEA Whitesnake had released more than one song, let alone as many as seem to turn up on NZ rock radio. I had no idea I still knew every word to Kenny Wayne Shepherd's Blue On Black despite having never owned the song in any format or particularly liked it, just heard it more than a couple of times on Triple M Sydney about ten years ago - the downside of my method of undergrad uni exam study was that not only did the course I was cramming at the time get absorbed, but so did whatever else I was listening to at the time.But most of all, I've learned that while as the Divinyls put it, there's a fine line between pleasure and pain; it's more pertinent to note that as David St Hubbins from Spinal Tap observed, there's a fine line between stupid and clever.
For those who would question the above, I give you Choad Kroeger and Nickelback. And their mainstream rockchart hit (with a capital 'S'), 'Something In Your Mouth':
Got to meet the hottie with the million dollar body
They say it's over budget but you'd pay her just to touch it
COME OWWWWN!!!
For. Fuck's. Sake. And it gets Even Betterer:
You're rip'n up the dance floor honey
(You naughty woman)
You shake your ass around for everyone
(You're such a mover)
I love the way you dance with anybody
(The way you swing)
And tease them all by sucking on your thumb.
Anyone see where this might be headed?
You're so much cooler when you never pull it out
'Cause you look so much cuter
With something in your mouth.
Now if that's not the lardiest slab of spray-on lyrical cheese since Kurt Cobain killed off the last of the Sunset Strip hair farmers, I don't fucking know what is.
Rank and venal hypocrisy, I hear you cry. This from the responsible grown-up behind such lyrics as 'I wanna be Angus Young, he's thunderstruck; I wanna be Angus Young, half his fuckin' luck.' (You wait until we get to Beef Week Queen. That's a fucking pearler.
'I want the Beef Week Queen, she likes her red meat if you know what I mean... I want the Beef Week Queen, she’s dressed for success, and relatively clean... I want the Beef Week Queen, knows her Brahman from her Limousin... Not so hot but I don’t care, she just wants it medium rare...')The point is, and it's a horrendous one to have to come to terms with, because it's a desperate indictment on society today:
Choad and his Canadifriends aren't actually taking the piss.Angus is taking the piss - both the fake one and his elderly namesake. Most of the Sunset Strip hair farmers were taking the piss too, or at least were aware it was all a big fucking joke. Choady Boy, as near as I can tell, is dead serious when he gurns like a constipated wrestler, 'You look so much cuter with something in your mouth.' What, pray tell? Chewing gum? Dentures? Her retainer? At least he could have added 'Take out your fuckin' retainer, put it in your purse.'
Nickelback need to be driven into the sea at the sharpened point of a thousand bayonets. This is scientific fact.
However, in these depressed, recessionary times, it's good to see that some people still have job satisfaction.

The Doctor I mean, not the podium girl. Though one wonders however if there is a literal Czech translation for 'camel toe'.
The Doctors (all of the above) are OUT.
15 comments:
Man Oh man, am I with you on this. The local "rock" morning show I listen to from time to time will throw "sumthin in your mouth" on with abandon and it drives me insane! But most of what's considered hard rock or metal these days is such watered down crap with zero imagination and no soul whatsoever.
I exclude "Mastodon" and "Coheed and Cambria" from that. But to all other posers I dedicate Pantera's "Regular People".....
I've trampled on that road
That you think you own
You have that "smart ass" attitude
It's time to stop the fiction
I live it every day
While you're mind's far away
I'm out here putting pride on the line
And you case on me with pure respect
One chance at one thing
Hard time is coming
My time, your pain
I reign on you
(Pre) You think you own
I take away
Take it with me
You think you own
I took away
Made it my own
(Chorus) Most regular people would say it's hard
And any streetwise son of a bitch knows
Don't fuck with this
The so many times
You practice in your mirror
To be just like me
But you just can't see
You ain't got the balls, son
I fight for love of brother
Your friends fight one another
You can't see because your head's up your ass
And just in cast you think you're bad
I crush your rush
I rule YOU fool
I'm immovable stone in your world of weak -- I speak
have you an Heidi considered putting to gether an internet radio playlist to give an alternative to these 'Monsters of Rock'(Ironic)
I know I'd go to the site.
And I assure you everyone of those 250 post WERE gems.
Radio: The soul reason why I have an EXTENSIVE collection here at home. Problem solved.
Hopefully your 250th post will be equal Rick's first innings score in the fifth test.
COngrats on the milestone - they have been wonderful!
Movers in on Friday - still battling!
And great Caml Toe!
Yes, forgot about Les Paul's death. Without his pioneering work with electric guitars, multitracking, and sound engineering, rock and roll doesn't take off. My folks have a Les Paul and Mary Ford album somewhere. He was 20 years ahead of everyone else in the business.
New contender for the biggest slab of rock cheese in history - just heard Seether attempting to cover George Michael's 'Careless Whisper' as a full-scale, weapons-grade, poodle-metal power ballad complete with Cobain-lite vocal part. Laughed so hard I almost drove into a bus.
I THINK they were taking the piss. For their sake I fucking well hope so.
Heidi - definitely true of modern mainstream rock. The last NEW proper hard rock album was Airbourne (bunch of bogans from rural Victoria who grew up listening to a LOT of AC/DC and Rose Tattoo.) They get spun on the Rock quite a bit - in fact the Rock are holding a 18th birthday rock tour through NZ with them playing with Shihad, the Living End and Luger Boa, all bands I've got a lot of time for. Looking forward to the show hitting Dunedin.
Barnesm - I suspect that claim is not backed up by statistical proof but I'll take it anyway, cheers for that.
DD - got lazy and bored with the CDs in the car so decided to switch on the radio for once. To be fair, flicking between the Rock and Hauraki, I don't often find anything I'm not happy to listen to - except ads, for some reason I fucking hate radio ads far more than even TV ones, possibly because they're ALWAYS annoying cretinous yabbering bullshit.
Lerm - just hoping it's more than England make in their first innings. Good luck with the move and keep us posted on the establishment of Cesspit II - The Den Of Vice And All Things Nice. As for the podium chicks, they were just as remarkable live on TV. Though the 70s swimsuit look was fairly unique.
YD - true, the man pretty much invented the solid body electric guitar, along with all his other accomplishments in audio engineering.
Jamin - some doctors would prescribe Combantrin for earworms, I usually go for a short sharp dose of punk rock. I've had the Dead Kennedy's Too Drunk To Fuck as my own personal earworm ever since linking the Youtube vid above.
Les Paul, The Guitar Man. Fucking Triple M and Nickelback. Ahhhhh, straight back to the Jays. Ayone who has ever picked up any sort of a guitar knows Les Paul and Fender and stand in awe of the man who first thought to design and build such a weapon.
Our trivia team name when John Hughes died was "The Coffin Club". Last night we didn't touch Les Paul, just put on some ACDC and Zep on the jukebox, tilted a James Squire Golden in salute and proceeded to check out the PUB TAB for runners with guitar-themed names. There were none.
Congrats on the 250! Doff the cap, kiss the emblem and wave your bat to the team dressing room young man, that's a quality dig.
Therbs - cheers - did all that, followed up with a Petr Korda scissor-kick and have now pulled a hammie.
Jimmy Squire Golden, hmmm... might have to see if that specialist bottle-o in town still stocks the Squire. That's a tasty beverage.
Korda - another mad Eastern European to go along with Kreeeeeezzzjjj and Katich. No illicit substances I trust.
We had a staff awards bash a couple of weeks ago. On the freebies taps they had Tooheys, Hahn light, Heineken and Jimmy Squire Golden. The amateurs went straight for the Heinie thinking it had to be the best because it was Heinie. Idiots. I observed, shook my head at their naivety and hoed into the Squire's product before getting up and accepting one of the "Con People Into Thinking Your Tops" Awards. The accompanying gift certificate was valid at Liqorland. Aces on aces.
Even rode the monorail that night for the first time in a decade. A strange experience reminiscent of a bygone era of "what the future will look like" artefacts.
Wow, when I was at school Hauraki was still Auckland-only, but the most popular at the time. ZM's version of the day was more modern rock (ie 80s) and responsible for much of my questionable musical tastes I'm sure.
Great Rossi shot! He deserves it, the boy can ride, but still hoping for Stoners come back.
Therbs - can't ride or even see a monorail without getting the Monorail song from the Simpsons in my head. Bizarre to think it was ever considered futuristic, like one of those '50s sci-fi books about predictions for 'The Year 2000'. Good call on the Squire, the Heineken would have been brewed in Lidcombe anyway.
Drej - read Hauraki's history on Wiki and it's pretty fascinating, starting life as a proper pirate radio station (on a boat anchored outside the territorial limits etc) - good story. Their new tag line is 'Your rock gone soft? Harden up' which is a direct shot at the Mediaworks-owned opposition.
Re Rossi, yup he deserves it - and is clearly going after it! Learned the other day the 'WLF' on his leathers is actually 'VVLF', standing for ViVa La Figa... Italian for 'Long live pussy.'
Thanks Dr., now I can't get the monorail song outta my head either! Damn, I miss Phil Hartman.
And yeah, Seether's cover of "Careless Whisper" is just a shake your head "Why?" moment. I'm thinkin' that next Disturbed will cover "Do You Really want to Hurt Me" by Culture Club.
Dr Y - please please pass this note on to Bedes.
Therbs Be Tippin'
Strayans
Pussycat Dolls
Pigs Arse Blues
Go Ahead Camry Crows
Fucken Fitzroy
Hawforn
Sainters
Carn The Fucken Bloods!
Dons
Punters' Mob. Us. Fucken 'Straya.
"This here's the wattle, the emblem of our land, you can stick it in a bottle, or hold it in your hand. australia, you bloody beauty!" As sung by Mr Simon Katich, that mad Eastern European, after nearly decking Mr Lara Bingle in the team dressing room.
I also have a cassette tape up for grabs,
"The Magic of the Pan Flute" with
Gheirghe Zamfir. On the Rainbow label and the jacket says its in stereo. It ioncludes an hommage to JS Bach, "Don't Cry For Me Argentina", somefin called "Coccinelle" and "Convict Streak" by Dave Warner From The Suburbs. Well, maybe not the latter.
As far as Yeamba Valley is concerned all I can say is it wasn't me, no-one saw me and you can't prove a thing. Just wonder whether those daddy-daughter nights are still happening down in The Valley.
My favorite guitar, after the Fender (it's what I learned to play on, so it's sentimental) is the ESP. That's because it's what Chris DeGarmo of Queensryche played, and for a good many years, I would've paid to hear them play nursery rhymes. DeGarmo's had the curves of a classic guitar, and the angular features of a metal guitar, and it didn't hurt that he was the one actually playing it, because he was awesome (I hear he now flies corporate jets for a living).
So yeah, not only did Cobain murder some shit acts, he also killed good ones like Queensryche and Tesla. Bastard.
And Lerm is right, that is a great toe.
Post a Comment