I think I might have been. I've long held suspicions that I was, anyway. My CD collection says I was. The CD in my car As We Speak is a self-slapped-together compilation called 70>80, made up of of tracks from between 1970 and 1980
(AC/DC, Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Stooges, MC5, Zappa, Radio Birdman, Motorhead etc). The magazine I most avidly read these days is Australian Muscle Car, a periodical for grumpy old men with petrol (Super, of course) in their veins who think the Torana A9X and Falcon Cobra were as modern as performance cars should have ever been allowed to get. I love it because I love all that old muscle car stuff, from here and the States. I love the stories of Bathurst in the late 60s and 70s - Brock winning in '72 in the XU1 Torana slaying the Falcon GTHO hordes single-handedly in the wet, Bob Morris in tears in the pitlane in '76 as his Brit codriver nursed his dying L34 home for a heroic against-the-odds win.
My favourite Matchbox car growing up was 'Ruff Trek', the jacked-up off road HX Kingswood ute. Would I trade my safe, secure, ABS and airbagged modern family chariot for a snarling Monaro GTS or even a Hemi six-pack Charger? If we're trading the heavily policed dual carriageways of modern times for the unrestricted two-lane blacktop of pre-1971 'Straya... hell yeah. Just as I'd trade the South Sydney side of 2009 - annihilation of the hated Broncos aside - for the Souths side of 1971, cos they actually WON SHIT.
But dammit, who wouldn't? Who wouldn't trade Ricky Ponting for Ian Chappell, Mitchell Johnson for Dennis Lillee or Michael Clarke for Dougie Walters? Who wouldn't trade Lara Bingle for Brigitte Bardot? The Kings of Leon for Led Zeppelin? Kevin Rudd for Gough Whitlam? Pure Blonde for Something Actually Fucking Drinkable?Yeah, yeah. Rose coloured glasses and all that. Back then, large tracts of Australia were stagnant, white-bread, backward Anglo shitholes. Your chances of getting a decent coffee were akin to those of getting a decent kebab. TV was still in black and white and so was racial politics.
Twuntering, iPhones and the internerd were twenty years away, meaning that pr0n was unavailable in the quantity, quality and variety that it is today - a dog-eared copy of Mayfair passed on by an older brother/cousin or mates with same, if you were lucky. Still, their were unexpected educational benefits, particularly in geography. Maps of Tasmania bigger than the Collins Junior Atlas of Australia. Topographically accurate in many cases.And I'd have needed a different career. There's no fucking chance a good-but-not-brillo high school student like m'self would have had the opportunity to go to uni, discover life-affirming shit about biology and genetics - much of which was still to be discovered in the early '70s - and veer off in the direction currently occupied by Your Correspondent. Not until Whitlam made uni available to everyone, not just those who scored scholarships and those whose parents could shell out for it.
Nope I'd have probably done what the old man did - went to teachers' college. Newcastle Teachers' College to be precise. Pub crawls up Hunter St - win. Holiday job in the steelworks - less so. And while he had some crap cars in his time -
anything prior to the V8 muscle car explosion of the late 60s was inevitably British, anaemic and embarrassing - were some weapons too. In my childhood there was a 253ci V8 HT Kingswood ute, followed later by a '71 Fairlane 351ci V8 auto in heroically early-Seventies rust brown, the ultimate Antipodean land barge. 'Course any and all of them would be dusted by the base model Falcon he has now, but that's not the point. He had mates with V8 Falcons and GTS Monaros
(though the latter was *cough* the 186ci six with Traumatic transmission), all of which appeared in the peeling photos and faded slides from the era - as did the shots of the old man and his mate Norm jumping the sand dunes around home on the old man's Suzuki TS185. Unsurprisingly this led to photos of rider, bike and sand dune arguing with each other, then photos of each going their separate ways.Norm's in a lot of stories about my old man. They met at teachers' college, the old man being from Sydney, Norm from the North Coast. It was Norm who introduced the old man to the area, and the tiny little beach village where I was brought up. Norm had the Falcon GT - he was from a family of Ford-heads - but went against his own programming to get a V8 Calais, and before that - world of weird - a Lada Niva 1600 4WD to tow his fishing boat with. Fucking appalling idea. Gearboxes made from old tins of borscht, wouldn't pull a sailor off your sister, fell to bits faster than Humpty Dumpty. He'd packed in teaching early, medically retired on stress, so for most of my childhood he just kicked back and looked after himself and his family, fishing, running the caravan park, the local volunteer bush fire brigade, that sort of stuff. Five or six years ago he traded in the Calais for his true love, a V8 Falcon - an Arctic White XR8, in fact. Made about as much sense as buying a Lada and parking it at the beach.

There's a theory - it may be just the old man's - that suggests that typically people only last twenty years or so after they pack-in full time work - perhaps the brain just atrophies with not enough to keep it vibrant and functional. Maybe it was true in Norm's case. He passed away yesterday morning. He'd been ill for a long time, with a variety of medical issues - physiological, structural, neurodegenerative - so it wasn't unexpected, but still a sharp, stark punch in the guts. He was a genuinely good bloke and didn't deserve to go out the way he had to. Sadly, you don't often get to choose.
This, according to the old man, was the song playing on the stereo in the shop where he bought the tie he married my mum in - Cream's Tales of Brave Ulysses. Norm was one of the old man's wedding posse - probably groomsman, I dare say his brother was best man - and is in all the appropriately dodgy photos complete with genuine 1971 beard, which both he and the old man maintained until they both turned grey.
That's all I got. Not particularly funny, but you get that on the big jobs, to borrow a line from a good mate of mine. I'm off to raise a glass to a good mate of the old man's, someone who played a large part in my upbringing. It might only be Double Brown in a can, because like the old man I'm fucking cheap when it comes to beer, but the sentiment will remain.
The Doctor is OUT.
24 comments:
still a good way to remember your dads mate
A Lada? Wow. Now there's an auto brand you just don't hear about people outside of Russia actually buying. Give me the big Ford Fairlane/Galaxie anytime.
You and I were made for each other babe.
A wonderful eulogy. For both Norm and times past.
Gough wouldn't have suited me! & we would have missed out on Warnie!
I would've loved to live in the time when hockey players didn't wear helmets, and American football was a much grittier sport. Never been much of a motorhead, so the cars didn't really matter, although I've always had a soft spot for the earliest Camaros and Firebirds.
But, what you've managed to accomplish, is an introduction of the phrase "couldn't pull a sailor off your sister" to North America. I'm going to find any way possible to use this as often as possible.
U - thanks mate
YD - yeah they started bringing Ladas into Australia in the 80s. The little Niva 4WDs were cheap as hell and seemed robust but had the build quality of a wet cardboard box. Funnily enough there's more of them over here in NZ - the Soviets used to be reluctant to do trade deals in hard currency (having the decidedly shit rouble as theirs) so used to pay for some of their NZ dairy imports - particularly as the cash dried up in the 80s - in consumer goods, eg Ladas. Still see the Nivas and the horrible little Fiat 124 ripoff things you see in Russian car chases (eg Goldeneye) trundling around NZ, waiting to die. Re the Fairlane - the old man said it was proof positive you should never buy your dream car. Leave it in the realms of fantasy. It was a bit of a lemon, sucked fuel like a Saturn V, handled like a greased hippo.
Nat - sounds like a Kiss lyric, if its not it should be. Era-appropriate anyway.
Jamin - thanks mate
Lerm - thought he wouldn't have.
Steve - yeah the era when men were men and women were glad of it. Also have a soft spot for the very first generation Camaro - came out around the same time as the first Monaro here. Consider 'couldn't pull a sailor off your sister' yours to propagate through the land as you deem appropriate.
Great post Doc. I'm really very sorry to hear about your dad's mate...very sad!
Yobbo
V8 Charger with Hemi 245 saved my life.
If I had been driving anything other than that tank I wouldn't have survived a crash near Saint George in the 80's.
Mind you, I wouldn't have been driving as fast in the first place either ;)
A beer or 2 is always the best way to remember friends (past and present).
It sucks when the old crew lose one of their own. Especially a bloke who sticks. My first beer at pub trivia tonight will be raised in salute.
Would have been fun being of driving age in the late sixties then experiencing the early 70's as well. Now we'd be worrying about which house to sell and whether or not to buy that cute little 50 acre tree-change property and make organic macadamia wine gums for the Balmain markets.
Going to the Led Zep gig at Sydney Showground in 1972? I'll see ya there Doc. I'll be the one with a case of Tooheys Flag Ale under his arm.
I'm surprised you listen to that old stuff. Check out jun626 on youtube if you like Zeppelin. He's amazing.
I had a '69 SS 396 Camaro in HS. Sold it before I went off to college. I'd trade both my degrees to have it back. There's nothing like it.
Puma
Jen - cheers. Like I say, it wasn't unexpected, but still a shock, if that makes sense.
AusGaz - bloke from our local bottle-o in St Lucia (in the Chateau Dodgy era, early 2000s) had a beaten up old Charger 245 in the wanted purple. Weapon of a thing.
Therbs - I'm there. And if AC/DC need backup for that punchup with Deep Purple at Sunbury a few years later, I'm all-in. Flag Ale was the old man's drop of choice I believe - good selection!
Puma - welcome - yeah do have a soft spot for old stuff. Bet you're kicking yourself over selling the SS. Wondering whether I can justify a V8 something or other as our next family car. Probably not...
It was a great time, with the people from that time all good solid people.
If only we could go there, even just for a while.....
Somewhere I think I still have a couple of cases of Matchbox/Hot Wheels/Tomy cars. We used to play with those things in the neighbor's backyard all the time.
I was glad in some ways to have grown up when I did. Life was a bit less complicated then, but I suppose every generation says that.
Dr Y, if you could oblige and give these to Bedes.
1. Souths (For Dr Y and also because the Rorters are fucked.)
2. Maggies
3. Cats
4. Freo
5. Lions
6. Saints
7. Bloods
8. Dons
9. Go Ahead Camry Crows
10. There once was a young man called Bedes, Who helped a young lass with her needs, She asked him to please, if he had a disease, to make sure he not spread his seeds.
And Bedes, how the fuck did you know I've been to Turku? I ate braised reindeer in a local student cafeteria there. It wasn't as special as it sounds.
Daze - maybe a 70s theme park? Some sort of thrill ride based on doing circlework in a Torana SLR5000 in the RSL carpark. Chiko rolls from the catering stands. Actually what am I saying, sounds exactly like being in rural NSW in 2009.
YD - I wonder if this gen will be thinking life was less complicated when they grew up?
Therbs - sorted.
Totally with you on the muscle cars. Huge fan of the "Cuda", G.T.O. and 68/69 Camaro. My step-dad built and raced pro stock on the quarter mile so I spent alot of my youth on the track.
I love the revival cars too though. In fact this morning there was a brand new Dodge Challenger SRT8 sitting in the parking lot at work and I thought they were going to call the cops on me because I couldn't stop molesting it. It was totally pimped out, orange and black package. BEAUTIFUL.
Hey Heidi, welcome. With you on the Challenger SRT8 - as is the next generation, it's my little boy's favourite Hot Wheels car by a long long way (ie he squeals when anyone else tries to play with it.) Though at present it's glued up with PlayDoh in the wheels so how long that interest will last is anyone's guess. They aren't making the Challenger in RHD so we don't see them in NZ, though there are two fairly awesome graphite-black 300C SRT8 Touring wagons in town. Look like punk rock hearses.
You GET OUT! I didn't tell you that my fav car of all time is a 57 Chevy Nomad and that I'm a Wagon junkie. I drive a 2007 chromed out Dodge Magnum that looks like a straight up "gangster" hearse only it's the SXT package though.
I looked up the 300C Touring Wagon because I haven't seen anyone driving them here. I got sooo giddy when I saw it because Dodge quit making the Magnum last year and the touring wagon looks badass.
I have a Saturn LW300 wagon, with a V6. The cargo area is completely full of soccer gear, both for youth and adult, and has about 10 pounds of turf and dirt in the back that fell out of my cleats over the last year.
Oh, and the back seats are stained from spilled Quick Trip slushies and at least one strawberry shake.
It's badass, I tell ya!
Heidi - sounds cool. The Magnum's basically the same platform as the 300C isn't it? Aust/NZ don't get the Magnum because we already get the 300C. There's been a surge of interest in performance wagons after Holden (local arm of GM - one of the few which has its shit togther) released the SS-V version of its Commodore Sportwagon. In sedan form the SS-V was getting sold in the States as a Pontiac G8 GXP I think.
Steve - that's not a million miles away from what I'm driving - I think the Saturns are based on European Opel gear, Astras and Vectras and stuff - we've got an Astra wagon ourselves. Still prefer the SS-V Sportwagon though if the choice was there.
Proof the Americans forgot how to design cars sometime after the 70s:
Starting with this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Caravan_Opel_Astra_G.jpg
and turning it into this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/Saturn_LW300.jpg/800px-Saturn_LW300.jpg
Steve it sounds almost as badass as my Ford Focus Wagon that I bounced around in for 8 years. Ha! But I love'em all. I've often said that if I was a rich car collector like Jay Leno, I'd have an entire warehouse FULL of Wagons in every make and model. I even love the old Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
Dr.Yobbo you're right about the same platform only the grill on the 300C is hugely different which gives it a whole nother look. I dig that Commodore-It reminds me of the Audi Wagon-another fav of mine. I don't know why I've always loved them. Maybe because I've always loved movies and when I was a kid we had a wood paneled Ford Fairmont wagon that we used to take to the Drive In.
I would lay on the roof with my blanket watching "Friday the 13th" or whatever till I got sleepy then get in the back and get cozy and conk out.
Yeah I'm the same. The Charger looks like an absolute weapon, but I'd always go the Magnum over it - you never know when the ability to shift a clothes dryer will come in handy.
Post a Comment