Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Delusions of adequacy

I've clearly missed something. Something big. And I've missed it not by a small margin, as separated Lance from yellow this morning, but by a lot, as separated Nate Myles from the bowl a few mornings prior.

England think they're going to win the Ashes.

Not by a small, split-second amount, but by a monumental, length-of-a-brown-streaked-hotel-corridor, veritable gaping chasm. Sky Sports UK's judges have called it unanimously:

David Lloyd: “I fancy England. Strongly.”
Nasser Hussain: “England. Not strongly but I think they’ll win.”
David Gower: “(coquettishly) I prefer to ask the questions. (Then, after ribbing from Hussain) Okay, I’ll say 2-1 England.”
Ian Botham: “England 3-0.”

And ESPN are in on the act too, puffing up their pre-Ashes visitations of the Cricket Australia Academy and training facilities with sludge like 'beginning of the end' and 'downfall of a once-great cricketing nation'.

I'm sorry, but what the fuck?

Did we not just go to the house of the then-number one Test playing nation in the world and beat them up on their doorstep with their girlfriend and their sister watching? And then shagged the pair of them on the bonnet of the Jaapies' car?

Did we not kick the shite out of the West Indies earlier last year in the Caribbean, a team England somehow conspired to lose to, the only team to do so in living memory?

Have I lost the ability to read, because I was fairly certain that A-U-S-T-R-A-L-I-A, the name of the country on top of the ICC Test Rankings, doesn't actually spell ENGLAND, which is the name in FIFTH place nestled in between between Sri Lanka, who've won one of their 185 test matches against Australia, and Pakistan, who don't even have a home country to play in?

For fuck's sake. This makes about as much sense as picking Noddy Kimmorley, King of Intercepts, as halfback for NSW in Origin III. To play alongside another washed-up old clown whose last game of consequence was as Noddy's opposition half in a Grand Final ten years ago. (Has Gary Ghost been picked on the wing? He'll get a lot of balls thrown his way.)

Anyway at least it's not just me whose Ashes bullshit detector is bleeping like the decibel meter at a Shihad concert. Even the Poms - though precious few of them - are registering doubts. Most, though, are boarding the bandwagon and booking Trafalgar Square for the post-Ashes open-topped-bus parade.

Anyway, with just Hours Remaining (nine at press time) until the first ball at Lords... erm Cardiff (why Cardiff? What the fuck would a perennially rainy nation of coal miners, leek herders, sheep shaggers and eunuch choirboys want to watch the first installment of England losing the Ashes again?) we present our Twitter-Generation-Compliant Preview to the 2009 Ashes. Three words. 'Cos 140 characters is fully, like, an ESSAY.






ENGLAND

Not bloody likely

Andrew Strauss (c)
Arsey left hander

James Anderson
Stupid haired twat

Ian Bell
Take care, fragile

Ravi Bopara
Who are ya?

Stuart Broad
Run out specialist

Paul Collingwood
Fired for cheating

Alistair Cook
Lanky streak o'shit

Andrew Flintoff
Will be injured

Graham Onions
Appears quite vegetative

Monty Panesar
Nice hat mate

Kevin Pietersen
Missus fucks Warnie

Matt Prior (wk)
Gloves of iron

Graeme Swann
No one knows








AUSTRALIA

Barely good enough

Ricky Ponting (c)
Cross eyed dwarf

Michael Clarke
Mr Lara Bingle

Stuart Clark
Glenn Mc Grath

Brad Haddin (wk)
Gilly? Not rilly

Nathan Hauritz
Not very good

Ben Hilfenhaus
Needs seam movement

Phillip Hughes
Light the phughes

Michael Hussey
Not the spare

Mitchell Johnson
Call the plumber

Simon Katich
The Black Cro

Brett Lee
Crocked, thank fuck

Graham Manou (wk)
Manou are ya?

Andrew McDonald
Red haired clown

Marcus North
Next great hope

Peter Siddle
Fair to middling

Shane Watson
Will be injured

For those seeking greater detail, our Preview of the 2006/07 Ashes Series is still available, is still accurate, and has better jokes.

The Doctor is OUT.

13 comments:

Jennicki said...

This makes me want to watch!

yankeedog said...

Last year the Cubs went 97-65. Should've cruised through the playoffs. Lost to the wild-card Dodgers in the first round-got swept, in fact.

Moral of the story-in a given series anything can happen. The dynamics of cricket have got to be similar to baseball-a few guys get hot at the right time (or, conversely, your guys get cold) and you can toss the record out.

Dr Yobbo said...

Jen - see I told you you're actually Australian. Come home, we miss you.

YD - that's exactly what happened in the last Ashes series in England (2005) - our best bowlers got injured, our best batsmen were shit out of form, and England won.

Nautilus said...

Doc, I don't know how you wrote that last line about England? I would have written "and Australia lost".

This could be the greatest month ever, monsters 1st birthday and I get to stay up wayyyyyy too late everynight watching the Tour and the Ashes.

Therbs said...

Dr Y - yeah, we lost in 2005 but I put that down to Ponting's tardo decision to send the poms in after McGrath buggered his ankle.
My prediction is 3-1 (4-1 if the weather holds). The fragility of the English cricket psyche cannot be overestimated. Doesn't take a lot to convince them how shite they really are.

Anonymous said...

Therbs I would have said reminded, but little difference.

LERMONTOV said...

I love your cricket blogs - hope to see regular updates!

Two and a bit hours to go!

Go Lads!!!!!!

Dr Yobbo said...

Naut - yeah I love month-long sports bonanzas like TdFs and Ashes tours. I only started watching the Tour properly in '98 because of withdrawal symptoms from the end of the football World Cup - same sort of deal. Unfortunately I'm in no sort of condition to stay up for much of it - and am thinking of returning to Australia solely because of televised sport being at better times (eg TdF stages finishing around 2am and highlights before work, getting two sessions of cricket in before bed instead of one, MotoGPs and F1 races starting at 10pm etc). Not sure that argument will convince the Powers that Are.

Therbs - absofuckenlutely.

Bangarrr(r) - either works for me.

Lerm - 112 minutes and counting.

AJ said...

three possibilities tonight

1) We bat. Simon Katich makes a watchful 10 in the first hour and Phillip hughes scores 68 of his 69 runs over the top of third man. Ponting scores his usual first-test century and we end up at 3/310. End story - we win.

2) We bat. The top four all get out playing woeful weird pull shots, and Brad Haddin and Mitchell Johnson spank a quickfire 70 to get us to 8/300 at the end of the day. We still win

3) We bowl. Mitchell Johnson kills one half of the batting line up, and Stuart Clark bores the rest of them to death. We still win.

Seriously England, it just won't happen. :P

Dr Yobbo said...

Left out one option - it fucking rains all week. It IS Wales after all.

Therbs said...

Tardo decisions continue. Hauritz?
What the fuck is that all about?! He gets a wicket every hundred overs and generates the same level of excitement as Geoff Boycott. The only reason he got KP is because KP played a shot out of "Tardo Batting For Dummies". In the field our lot looked soft. No sign of aggression except from Sidds. Nevertheless we have a good chance of knocking them over for less than 400, piling on a big score ourselves anmd then knocking them down cheaply in the second dig. Optimistic? Nup, just realistic. It is England we're up against after all. I just wish our lads would fire up.

Dr Yobbo said...

Siddle, as argued today, is the next Kasper. Avg talent but guts in excelsius deo. What you want at the end of the day taking the new ball - someone who can give you the same zip and bounce he was giving at ball one.

What worries me is that Broad CAN bat. His old man was an England opener - I remember him getting a double ton in Australia 1986/87 then smashing his stumps down after getting out. Ironically he's an ICC match official now - in fact the one who got shot up in Lahore with Tufty Taufel and the Sri Lankans.

Dr Yobbo said...

BTW Therbs loving your theory on advertising for chuggers on street corners (in today's Blunty comments) - find me THAT charity, the one with the beers and explosions - would give hard, early and often for that.