That's right, I'm talking about rooting.
Let's face it, people - everything fun in life is under permanent attack from moralistic nimrods. Drinking will kill you. Smoking gives you cancer. Sex gives you syphilis, AIDS and teenage pregnancy. Red meat makes the Earth cry. Driving cars more than 100km/h will make you explode spontaneously and catch fire, unless for some reason that the RTA haven't entirely explained, you're in Europe. The inter-google is full of sex-offending lolcats who want to steal your identity and sell it to Nigerian scammers. Everything you love will kill you.
You can give in to those people, and life your life the way they want you to. Or you can tell each and every peddler of this Dry July bullshit to go and fuck themselves with the blunt end of a Grolsch swingtop.
Some people, of course, need to get off the grog. But if you need to give up the drink for a month to prove a point, you probably need to give up the drink, full stop. You're not cut out for it, clearly. You need to retire from international drinking. You, Olly Reed and Freddie Fittler. But if you need peer pressure and celebrity bullying to stop you doing something that's not doing you any good, you're probably incredibly stupid. You don't need or deserve applause for giving up something that was fucking stupid to carry on with in the first place. 'Erm I've stopped putting me dick in the blender...' *golf clap* I think it's a sign of people who were praised too much for their toddler-age potty movements. Suddenly they think that every little turd they extrude is deserving of canonization.
But, of course, it's for charity! And that makes it alright, of course. How can I say any of this when it's for charity? You can do whatever the fuck you like for charity and no bastard can complain. To steal (another) line from Alexei Sayle, if Hitler had invaded Poland for spina bifida, it would have been no fucking problem would it?It's July on Thursday. Drink, or don't drink. Your call. Just don't expect smug backpats, handshakes or reacharounds from the rest of society. Nobody cares about your self-denial, your self-delusion or your self-abuse. You might say it's a bit of harmless fun. I say it's the thin end of the fucking wedge. The line in the sand lies before us, scratched into the earth with the point of a well-worn corkscrew. Make your choice. Make your stand.
Me, I'll be at the bar, making up for the rest of you dead weight.
Chin chin.
The Doctor is OUT.
9 comments:
Geez, you are an angry Doc this evening, aren't you? :)
I think he's cranky as he's already started summoning all his residual strength for the taxing effort which is Movember.
"if Hitler had invaded Poland for spina bifida"
GOLD.
I'm not giving up drinking, chocolate OR sex.... especially not in July!
My hubby had his homebrew equipment set up in our ensuite - it's too cold in the brewing shed in June.
Guess when the current brew will be ready for drinking? That's right. Thursday. He he he he he he...
I thought Hitler invaded Poland to spread the health benefits of pork (the OTHER white meat) over beef?
I'd forgotten all about Dry July until I read this, stinking hangover and all. Fuck 'em! If GC reckons you're angry about this pile of self-righteous slop then I won't bother to vent except to say that those who come up with this sort of excrescence passed off as charity need a big fucking uppercut. If you need some help on the frontlines, you can find me at the bar sniggering at those other charity cases, Wests Tigers.
Yours in froth
Therbs
Dry July I don't think so. Life in all known cases has proven fatal so I'm going out happy.
GC - never angry, only enthusiastic.
Alby - I'd need more than that, possibly a 3 month running start.
Jen - Alexei Sayle was a brilliant Brit comic of the 80s, started in the Young Ones. His TV sketch show of the late 80s/early 90s was epic
Mayhem - denial is a river in Egypt and nothing more
Anon - homebrew can always use another month to add more fabulous
Steve - I thought it was 'to get to the other side'
Therbs - what you said, with bells on, and a large sign saying 'Dry July: pop a jaunty little bonnet on it and ram it up your shitter with a lubricated horse cock' (or words to that effect)
Bangar - absofknlutely, sir. A gentleman and a scholar.
Post a Comment