Almost bought another pair. The issue of whether 31 year old men should be wearing skate shoes in the first place is not one which we will be addressing in this context, so go intercourse yerselves with some form of objet d'art, preferably a pointy one.We are currently eight hours into the latest iteration of the Crap Sale and so far the Visa has sustained only light shelling - a stunt kite for the boys (i.e. to show off to the boys) and a pair of sunnies. Which means, it would seem, that my old cherry-red Julbo frames are headed for retirement.
First of all, they cost me nowt. Nada. Not a sausage. Found 'em in a teaching lab I was demonstrating an undergrad course in, wayyy back in 2000 (PhD first year, for those keeping records). Across the semester, noone had claimed them, so I did. If you can afford to forget you own a pair of sunglasses you can afford to buy another pair. The tours of duty were hard and onerous, and the new rims weren't spared. Four Livid festivals. Four Homebakes. Five Big Days Out. Three Gold Coast Indys. Many, many drunken days of cricket at the Gabba. Australia Day/Hottest 100 BBQs. Boxing Day BBQs down at the folks' place with Team Old Skool. Missions to the V8 Supercars at The Switch (cue Duelling Banjos theme). And countless, endless days at the beach, the park or the RE beer garden, roadtrips up and down the coast, backyard cricket (aka 'backyard sledging'), playing fucking ordinary golf and swearing about it, or just kicking back in the sunshine on campus with Dr Craigos and ogling exceptionally hot underdressed women. Before DMDY turned up on the scene of course *cough*
(Pre-event drinks for Homebake 2003 high above Hyde Park. Classy. My best man and both my groomsmen are in amongst that lot. Not picked for their culture or decorum, you may be surprised to learn.)Through all those tours of duty, through bushfires, snakes and tinea, drizzle, drought and flood, the old shades fought the good fight and completed their mission objectives to a tee: (a) keeping the sun out and (b) not getting lost.
Old, dodgy, busted-arse sunglasses nicked from a teaching lab in 2000, we salute you.

Now bugger off, I'm off to check the Crap Sale again. Walkie talkie watches for 40 bucks? Sign me up matey!
The Doctor is OUT.
4 comments:
$40... Tell him he's dreaming.
I have a pair of mountain loafers with a similar story. That's right, mountain effin loafers. Thick-assed tread fulfilling the mountain bit, no bits at the back of the heal to fulfil the loafer bit. Around the same vintage as your sunnies and travelled many many thousands of miles over the large brown land, including 2 tours of duty to the Far East (they're currently resting on the front porch of the homestead as we speak).
I know I should upgrade. I know they're really manky... but I JUST CAN'T DO IT!!!
Why oh why must we fall in love with inanimate objects?
I tried the 1 Day Sale website. Overloaded! Evidently the crap sales are humming, or the server is an old 286 computer. Possibly both.
Sounds like the dollar stores and flea markets here. Somewhat dodgy people of all nationalities selling somewhat dodgy products-either name-brand stuff 'hot off the truck' or some odd off-brand gear. $12 Nikke shoes, anyone?
BBA - ROFLMFAO. That's gold sir. GOLD.
Jamin - yup, I reckon that irrational-allegiance-to-inanimate-objects thing is a bloke characteristic (possibly ladies too but I'm not one so I can't make a definitive judgement) going back to the days of ones Tools of Trade being required to either (a) make a living or (b) bump off other blokes marching under an opposing flag. Tool proves dependable, reliable, and better than anything bought to replace it = tool gains its own personality. True for anything from sunglasses to cars to boots to Spartan swords. Yes we are SPARTANS! Apart from the killing babies via exposure and the barracks bum sex. Well for a statistical majority of us.
YDog - yeah their IT solutions are stretched to the max on Crap Sale days. It's all legit, honest. How it started (according to 1-day's website) was the bloke who ran the online bike shop Torpedo7.co.nz kept getting great offers from his suppliers that weren't really bike stuff related - clothing, shoes etc - so decided to start a spinoff. Which is now comfortably bigger than the original bike shop site.
Post a Comment