Te Reo Maori is the official second language of New Zealand. You can answer questions in University exams in it if you want. Personally I have to admit to being cynical about the practical utility of a language developed by a seafaring island warrior people for modern, technologically confronting Western life.I now stand corrected. Te Reo Maori's fucken tops.
Beer. It's good. Particularly random, obscure, delicious, crystal-clear German pilsners deposited on a pallet in the middle of a local supermarket for $45 a case. That's the kind of bargain-hunting win we like to celebrate here at the World of Bollocks.Bit of a tribute to German precision, this, with the Tucher Pils reclining on the nearest available flat surface - that being the boot of our Audi A4 2.6, which was the best four grand I've spent on a car in the history of spending four grand on cars. It's fucken tops too.
Was markedly less so last month when some muppet reversed into it at an intersection, for reasons known only to herself, however.Still, all good now.
Got the Audi the week after Bathurst. I know this because it was in a post-Bathurst hungover stupor I received the news our Astra had been written off in our last traffic bingle, two weeks before the Sunday of the Great Race. This, more happily, was one of the 'Before' shots from that monstrous day of competitive drinking and bingeing on low budget barbequed animal extract. I still involuntarily shiver when anyone mentions safety cars.This was the view from the lads' place we watched the race at, up on the ridge overlooking St Clair Beach in Dunedin. I can see my house from here. Not very well but. I did say it was a shit phone.
Tried one of these for Beeso, since he rates them so. In the process forgetting (a) I'd already tried them several summer seasons ago and (b) they were and remain sickly-sweet confections of arse; a heady confection of ginger, bush honey, cloves and something which crawled up the arse of the head brewer and died. Recommended for cough medicine aficionados and people who don't like beer. See also Radler, Monteiths.
Movember, which has just been completed by our AWSM TEAM OF AWSM AWSMNESS the Magnum PI All Stars, saw the first occasion upon which I've actually had to purchase shaving cream in approximately five years.
It wasn't the worst of looks in the end. Though the Speights 'Duck Shooting Season 2009' camo cap (which I choose to wear ironically) perhaps doesn't go spectacularly well with the NSW Country Origin jumper.
Still, you gotta dress up right for the big occasions on the social calendar. Like test cricket at the University Oval. Best sustained five days of test cricket since the Aussies and the Saffers at the SCG last Jan, IMO. And a nail-biting finish to boot.
Five dollar plastic bots of Speights I could have done without though. Bastards.
Went to Moeraki last week for our work Xmas lunch. It's a little fishing village about an hour north of D-town, not too dissimilar to the sort of town I grew up in. Nice spot. We went there for Fleur's Place, a famous seafooderie renown by foodies, cuisiniers, critics and punishing food-porn addicts alike. Food was excellent, view was likewise. A laptop and mobile broadband, and you could even call it your office, should you be so lucky as to call the South Island your office...Which is another topic entirely, but we'll leave that discussion until after tomorrow's job interview.
Lastly... is it just me, or is there some, erm, ambiguity to the interpretation of this headline?...No?
Just me then?
Hmmm.
The Doctor is OUT.
15 comments:
Luck!. ewe'll be sweet but...
What's with all the apple and summer ale hate? All I want is a decent beer and some beautifuly recognized tech which to paraphrase HVK only FKN Gods like me only use properly anyway.
When you come to brisi I'm going to shout you as many xxxx golds as I can!
I had that speights last trip, do they pass it thru old socks?
Nice pix and commentary!
ALD - cheers mate, will see what comes of it.
Moko - aren't the sheep jokes meant to be directed at yr good self?
Beeso - I'm writing this on a MacBook. It's good. It works. It's shiny white. But I wouldn't pay the premium for it if it were my own cash. Which it's not, and isn't likely to be for a while. As for the Summer Ale, it's interesting, for the first third of a bottle, then it becomes sickly sweet and annoying. You wouldn't drink more than one of them and neither would I. As for shouting XXXX Golds, if it's at the Gabba watching T20 on the 28th, be my guest.
Jenbot - thanks. Most of it's 'borrowed' from Twitpic - the places we go for blog inspiration!
Best wishes for the interview - even if they are retrospective at this stage.
A happy time to be rid of the mo!
I too, haven't joined the i-phone brigade. Although, Havock is certainly an advertisement for them!
Mmm Monteiths Summer Ale Yum.
Goodluck on the job front.
iPhones rock but I probably wouldn't get one if I actually had to pay for it.
Didn't realise you got a 2.6 A4. I come over, buy a couple of BMWs and then ship them back.
THERE IS NO APPLE TAX. Its up there with a viable liberal leader as the best current urban myths
Lerm - think it went OK, may yet be corrected on that belief though!
The Wife - no, no, no. That boy of yours is a bad influence
Naut - they are fkn cool bits of kit truth be told, but unless work is paying, I ain't buying. Re cars there's some restriction on importing them to Aust, I think you have to have owned them for 6 months in NZ otherwise they slap you with big duties. Probly better off grey-importing them direct from Singapore or Japan. Though this is a NZ new one, prices obviously driven down by existence of Jap imports.
Beeso - they cost more for equivalent performance, even with educational discounts. There's no getting around that.
Well allow me to retort. The reason the wife got a macbook pro was when she sent me the specs of the dell laptop she had to buy with the "special relationship" QIMR had with Dell i checked against the mac. With ed discount it came out $200 cheaper, about $50 dearer retail. That doesn't account for the superior industrial design and quality of component
Dell are crap. They're not particularly reliable and not particularly cheap. But one swallow (or bit of anecdotal evidence) does not a summer make. I've never seen Macs for PC prices. And given the 'superior quality of component'(s) why are Macs only mediocre in terms of laptop reliability?
http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/apple-laptops-fourth-in-reliability-study-20091118-im8t.html
My own statistically-nonsignificant anecdote - of the five Mac laptops DMDY and I have had over the years, three have had catastrophic hardware failures. Mostly HDs, which are usually made by third-party suppliers like Western Digital, but still doesn't say much for quality of internals.
The day i believe something a fairfax journo wrote on IT is the day i would take advise on beer from Havock
Good luck with the job. Didja look fuckin' suave ay? Thanks for the heads up about Monteiths. sounds like one to be avoided. I am however fascinated by this Tucher Pils of which you write. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that.
Therbs - appears to be the sort of parallel-imported fell-off-a-pallet stuff you might find at Dan's or First Choice or somewhere. It's damn fine, like a clearer, crisper version of proper (Dutch) Heineken. And I, sir, am ALWAYS fucken suave. Ay.
Post a Comment