Thursday, December 03, 2009

Dirty tramps get sprung

There are many, many reasons why being a kid today is palpably more shit than it was in my day, or in your day, or in your old man's day, or in pretty much any day you could name that wasn't the Industrial Revolution when being a kid largely involved being sent down t' pit for tuppence a millennia with nowt to eat but a cup of cold sick with a pube in it and when we came home after 25 1/2 hour shift to hole in t' road with wet newspaper over't we had to lick road clean wi' tongue and our Dad would thrash us to death with a broken bottle etc etc etc.

That minor discomfort aside, being a kid now sucks more than at any stage in the past fifty years. Because people are always THINKING about you. 'Oh won't somebody think of the children?' will howl a veritable battalion of pious screeching mavens, and yet that's all people - punishing, straightening, gimlet-eyed anti-fun people - seem to be able to do. Kids these days might get iPods and designer smack but they also have to put up with milquetoast bullshit the likes of which had never even been heard of ten years ago. Time out. Naughty steps. Peanut allergies. Jesus Christ, whatever happened to sorting out your differences behind the bike shed and still having time to get in a quick game of backyard tackle footy before Mum saw the state of your school gear and kicked your arse from here to Christmas.

Eventually, though, things reach a tipping point. Eventually, society reaches a Rubicon, a point beyond which there can be no turning back.

People of the World (of Bollocks), we have reached that sorry, sick day. We have reached that point of no return. And it is called Springfree™.


Designed by gimlet-eyed God-bothering Cantab fun police, Springfree claims to be the world's first springless trampoline, and as such, the world's first completely safe trampoline. No rusty springs, no rotting eyelet hooks, no exposed bare steel frame. Netting to catch the offspring before they spring off. Padding on every available surface. In short, no possible way for your darling little angels to hurt themselves in any way, lest they take in the Nerf bats and try to go each other UFC styles.

I think you can see where I'm going here.

WHAT

THE FUCK

IS THE

FUCKING

POINT

OF THAT.

This thing absolutely fucking horrifies me on multiple levels, two of which I'd like to shout at you about here. The first is the most obvious, to me at least. And it's a serious point. If kids can't hurt themselves, how the hell are they meant to learn what's safe and what's not?

Busted, rusted, verging-on-collapse trampolines - of which there was one in every Australian backyard by some form of legislative writ possibly dating back to Hawkey's first term, or maybe even No Pants Fraser - taught the nation's youngsters a lot of very valuable lessons. Primarily about risk assessment, hazard mitigation and accident avoidance. Just as sure as you knew not to ride your bike off stormwater drains because it'd cause you significant injury, or into the surf at the beach because your dad would, you knew, because you learned pretty quickly, what not to do on a trampoline. You KNEW not to bounce on the sides because you'd fly off into the paperbark trees. You KNEW to stay away from the springs, because down that path lay significant groinal trauma, and detaching one's prepubescent scrotum from a partially distended trampoline spring is not an experience that one should need to take into adolescence with them. You KNEW to stop doing drop-in bombs off the overhanging tree-branch after reaching your teens because touching down on the bricks underneath is not the kind of surprise your kidneys like to have. You KNEW not to look up the dress of your older cousin's cute best friend when she came over for a bounce during Xmas hols, because you'd get slapped, regardless of whether it was totally worth it or not, which it was. And you KNEW not to double-bounce your little brother into the stratosphere such that on his return to Earth he plummetted into the frame head-first, because claret would ensue, and you'd inevitably get unfairly blamed for his lack of spatial awareness, and/or consciousness.

In short, you knew how to identify hazards in your environment - like your parents, after pitching your bro into the undergrowth - and mitigate them - by running the fuck away and hiding at your mate's place. How the hell are kids going to get that sort of real-life training with this confection of unmitigated arse? Make no mistake, people, Springfree is child abuse. It's sending your children out into the world without the proper training, instruction or experience to deal with it. The real world isn't fucking 'Springfree', people. If it was a trampoline, it'd be a rotted old piece of shite with no pads, a collapsing frame, and rusty springs laced with tetanus, scrapie and TEH AIDS. That's right, parents. Buying this unmitigated pile of driftnet-lined arse is akin to INJECTING YOUR CHILDREN DIRECTLY WITH THE HIV-1 VIRUS.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound like responsible parenting to me.

But secondly, and far more importantly... I don't see how the fuck anyone is supposed to use this bastardized whitebait net for the most important role the backyard trampoline is pressed into, later in its life, as the kids start growing into teens and the grass starts growing around the long-abandoned frame-base of the tramp. That is, as backstop and automatic wickie for the all important World Series of Backyard Cricket. Every backyard cricketer knows that if personnel are limiting, you don't waste fielders on wicket-keeping. It's a shit gig anyway, standing at the back and collecting all the crap other people miss. You're telling me the goalkeepers in football get all the roots? Caddies in golf? No. Any gig where you can be replaced by a wall, a garage door, your Mum's camellias or, as world's best practice, an old rectangular trampoline tipped on its side and offset slightly from the stumps to account for right-handers batting on off stump (which, being a wheelie bin, was technically also middle and leg), is a pointless and thankless gig not worth doing by anyone. Even Gilly. Even Havock.

And yet these child abusers from the University of C*nterbury want to take that experience away from kids, and force them to crouch ad nauseum over a stinking wheelie bin in the middle of summer, miserably watching and waiting as their ex-grade cricketer mate tonks their other ex-grade mate's appalling excuse for leg spin over cow corner and into the neighbours' veggie patch.

To which there are only two rational responses.

One, set fire to the Springfree factory. The address is on their website. Better burn down UCanty as well, just to be certain.

and

Two. Go buy a proper (i.e. properly broken) old trampoline.

And a bag of $2 shop tennis balls.

And a multi-pack of insulating tape from Bunnings.

Apply (c) carefully to one side of (b).

Bring self on to bowl from the Southern or Garden Shed End.

Bowl fast, seam upright.

Wipe smile off face of ex-grade cricketer mate by swinging one in from three feet outside off and castling leg.

Then go raid the old man's beer fridge, because you can, because you're all old enough. If not quite old enough to know better.

I love Christmas.


The Doctor is OUT.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

That damn tape. The curse of every ex-grade cricketer :P and we'll never be old enough to know better.

Jennicki said...

There was only one trampoline in my neighborhood as a kid, and we all used it heavily until someone broke their leg.

After that, the owners of the trampoline sent around a contract for all neighborhood parents to sign, waiving the owners' liability if anyone got hurt or killed.

My mom refused to sign it, and whenever I went over to neighbor's house she would stand in the backyard, arms folding, watching to make sure I didn't sneak onto the trampoline with the other kids.

I was devastated.

uamada said...

I have broken my arm twice in my life. Once when falling off a trampoline doing backwards flips and once at work, doing stuff less fun and much less impressive, but deadlier. I have no issue with "them" banning fenceless and padless trampolines for causing pain and misery as long as they fucking well ban fucking work as well.
Actually the bigger issue with these pansy things is they usually have some weird double net gate thing that no kid under the age of 8 can work, SO you have to stay close, to release the little punks from their safety jail, even if there is something cool on TV or your hungover and just want to sit in a cool shady spot and vomit.

Albion Love Den said...

You forgot the effects this will surely have on the kids of the future's sex lives. I have amazing scars on my upper thighs from the springs pinching hard enough to draw blood.

And we all know chicks dig scars. And, once she insists on seeing the cute scars on your upper thighs, the britches are ankle warmers and it's just a matter of time before we was gettin in orn.

At least that was how I spent my teenage years imagining how it would go. In reality it was less seemless and more leering and jerky ("Here, look at me scars would ya! Oh, and while we're almost nekkid..."). But still, I gots me end dipped and it was all cos a tha scars.

Dr Yobbo said...

Josh - LOL and you're palpably correct on that one. This is why they pay you the big bucks. Well $2.50 in cabcharge vouchers and a half chewed Crunchie. Hell we ungraded muppets have to level the fkn playing field somehow - had to learn something from four years sharehousing with Craigos.

Jen - someone will always break their leg. My eldest broke his leg about 11 months ago in the most innocuous playground accident - he was sliding down a metal slide in a park, the shoes he had on gripped the sides of the slide and the 'grabbing' effect was enough to cause a torsional fracture to the big bone in his left leg. Poor wee little two year old with a cast up to his thigh. Not that he gave a stuff, he just battled on, is fine now, no aftereffects either physically or psychologically. Do I now stop him from going on playground equipment? No, but I'm definitely more cautious about it. As a parent you have to fight against that overprotective urge because it WILL cost your kids in the long run, I genuinely believe that. Like I say, the real world isn't 'Springfree'.

U - never broken anything myself. Which infers I wasn't trying hard enough. Or I was VERY good at adapting the crash position in midair and getting the important breakable stuff into a more amenable position before impact.

ALD - that is weird, sick and wrong, and yet kudos to you for using whatever resources you had at your disposal to achieve the result towards which you strived. The end justifies the means.

Damian said...

If you try to design an object so children can't hurt themselves with it, the rest assured at least one child will begin a campaign to try.

Actually the frames for the vertical "fence" thing on that look like they'd take out an eye ridiculously easily.

Natalia the Russian Spy said...

Repeating twunter obs: a child in that protective coccoon will miss the joyous sensation of leaping of the tramp after a long bouce session to feel the earth splintering up their shins. #memorieslikethecornerofmymindbabsgoescrosseyed

yankeedog said...

Amen, Doc. That thing ain't a trampoline. It's a child cage. Keeps 'em protected from the big bad world.

Now I never played on a trampoline when I was young, but I get where you're going.

We used to actually walk from school to home-clear across town, winter and summer!-go trudging out in the swamps on the edge of town, play down by the railroad, go inside said railroad's abandoned icehouse and explore-and we survived. Nowadays a lot of parents would have a flying fit about their kids doing things like that.

The guys that lived in the country, for example, used to carry pocket knives to school. It was just a matter of course. No one would ever have thought to use them in a fight or go apeshit with their knife in school. Try that today.

Good post-but man do we sound old!!

Mayhem said...

Saw one of these in real life last weekend at my sister's place. In her particular case it makes a fair bit of sense, given that previous occupants of their home have pretty much concreted the entire yard.

That aside, I've found with successive generations, we get more paranoid about what we let our kids do. The Brat (18 now) was allowed to roam the neighbourhood, ride his bike and play in the nearby creek, but probably with less freedom that me and my sibs. Then again, there were 5 of us, we roamed in a pack and there is lots to be said for safety in numbers.

Now the niece and nephew 3 and 6 respectively, are likely to have less roam around freedom again than even The Brat. A sign of the times?

Nautilus said...

I am heading more down Damian's path. I think you are serious understimating the youth of today and the evolutionary cycle.

Kids have awesome capacity to make the most ordinary items capable of inflicting horrendous injury. Each generation of parents attempts to make their kids lives a little safer. While each generation of kids finds ways to make their lives balance on the knife edge of death, scaring the bejessus out of their parent.

Circle of life my friend.

Steve said...

I remember going to a summer camp when I was 7 or 8 and they had a trampoline. And it looked like the most unsafe thing on earth, and even I could tell that if I landed wrong, I would probably become a bleeder.

It did not stop me from wanting to get on it. But, I was also good at doing the Tuck n' Roll. One time, I was on the back of my friend's dirt bike (he had a helmet, I did not) and we approached a baseball field, and there was an embankment behind one of the benches going down to the field. We hit it, the ground disappeared beneath us, and at one point we were a good 2 meters in the air. At that point, I fell off the back. Got up, dusted myself off, and waited for my friend to turn around and come back for me.

But Jesus, if I saw my kids doing the same thing, there would be hell to pay.

Therbs said...

More to the point its difficult to sell them to pirates. They're too soft and needy. My Somalian contacts hate that.

Steve said...

And Damian has a good point. I once required stitches while playing with a remote control car. How, you ask? My friend put his pocket knife on the front of his RC car and we played chicken. I thought he would swerve. He didn't. The knife had 2 entrance and exit wounds, and I still have a faint scar. I'm probably the only person on earth that required stitches from an RC car.

The only thing missing was "Holding Out For A Hero," like in Footloose.

Dr Yobbo said...

Damian and Naut are probably right on this one - but I can't see how enough useful damage will be done to the kids of today by the trampolines of today to make them the upstanding (aside from the fractures) citizens of tomorrow.

Thanks all who posted - doing fuck all at the beach at the moment so should probably post something soon!