The ex in question was a '97 Subaru Impreza wagon. Grey import, green paint, two litre boxer four, no turbo but all-wheel-drive. Cost me about four grand on TradeMe, back when I was a postdoc. We had some good times. Snow, mud, flood, highways, byways, dirt tracks and firetrails. One night long ago, 3am, Colin McRae-ing up a steep farm track rendered near-impassable by a torrential thunderstorm, more sideways than forwards. Long story why and how we came to be there, which I won't go into, but we all got out and made it home to sleep in our own beds. Sold it, in the end, for three-something to a fella who was going to do it up (you what? There's nowt wrong with that thing lad) for a friend who was moving to town.
![]() |
| I WANT TO GO PLAY IN THE SNOW |
It still lives. This makes me happy. As it does whenever I see my old Audi kicking around town. Or when we spotted our old Legacy 250T - which we'd traded in for disposal money basically - on a trailer being towed behind some grey nomads' camper-bus. Off to be part of someone else's adventures.
![]() |
| Near mist |
And yes, it's juvenile and immature to buy shitty second hand Subarus and rag the shit out of them up muddy forestry trails and drive them too fast through water splashes. So now I've stopped doing that, and am doing it in a brand new X-Trail instead.
![]() |
| No, it's definitely a Nissan |
![]() |
| Carn, you can ford that. It's barely ankle deep. Carn. |
Genetics, eh.
![]() |
| Always use Nissan Genuine Parts. Or, when their crappy little retaining tabs break after trying to cross too many alpine-fed watercourses, use Nissan Genuine Pink Pegs |
The Doctor is OUT to Karcher the mud off the 4WD before the missus finds out.





3 comments:
Saw the old Nissan bluebird 1987 which I traded in 2 years ago. Been sold to some tourists and survived the interval years. bit more rust but still looking good.
Im not crying I'm cutting onions for tea..
"I was slightly disappointed when I read this" - @Upulie
First car was the Old Man's HQ ute 253, was yours a traumatic as well?
Post a Comment