
So why did I write ITWPT? Couple of reasons. Boredom, since I was working a dull job at the time. Missing friends, having moved to NZ - since it is, in essence, a story about the nature of friendship, and obliquely, a tribute to mine - some of whom have been readers since the first ep (and long before, of course). Growing up, approaching/surpassing 30 and wanting to transcribe some of the tall tales and true from my youth. ITWPT inspirations are probably fairly self-explanatory. John Birmingham's Felafel/Tassie Babes diptych hit a chord, being the first time the story of every twenty-something sharehouse bunny had been told. Still Crazy, the British movie about another washed up rock band on the comeback trail, was both a trigger and a torment, trying to avoid recapitulating similar plot points re mentally ill former rock stars and potential resurgences thereof. But more than either, co-writing credits have to go to the rock festivals, dishevelled parties, sharehouse stupidity and above all the magnificent bastards who found their way into the story, mildly finessed from reality. I'm not Angus Young, but I think we know a lot of the same people. If you recognise yourself, kids, do take it as a compliment.
The basic idea of Flange Gasket The Band, with all the dubious album covers and song titles came from something I wrote years ago, the final installment in the Captain Stupidity Chronicles, a heroically terrible comic superhero series. In that final ep, the dodgy pub covers band of crimefighting idiot savant (more the former than the latter) and part-time drummer Captain Stupidity and friends (including his long-suffering, heavy-drinking offsider Dr Yobbo) somehow stumbles over international chart success following the accidental Triple J release of a rockabilly-thrash version of Accidentally Kelly Street by Frente. As you do. Reworking that final CS ep into a full novel, placed within an ostensibly recognisable society (rather than the rather Python-munted netherworld of Captain Stupidity) followed later.
But I could go on talking bollocks all evening. Would rather throw it over to the folks who read the series, and ask the question - what did you think? Part of the plan by serialising the thing was to get some honest feedback at the end of the story on how it read and what sort of percussive maintenance it needed to be betterer. In particular would love to hear
(a) questions about stuff in the series that confused or needed clarification
(b) obvious continuity errors or other plot fuck-ups I missed
(c) shit I should have left out for brevity to prevent it being longer than the Wheel of Fucking Time
(d) appropriate plot-points to introduce MOAR EXPLOSHUNS
(e) or MOAR GRATUITOUS ROOTING
(f) and probably most of interest of all, discussion of your fave character/location/song/invented swear word on behalf of Mad Mick 'Cunt my ringhole' Martin etc.
Comments section is below. GO.
Oh by the way... yes there will be Something Else after ITWPT. Not the same bunch of wankers, and not the same Implausible Length - particularly as the next project is tidying up last year's NaNoWriMo piece which topped out well under a tenth of the size of ITWPT. But that won't be too far away, in either leadtime or stylistic considerations.
The Doctor is OUT.
8 comments:
Thought about self publishing? Really don't feel like reading on a back-lit screen.
I guess it's no secret that I've read the lot. Can't remember where I started, but 4 or 5 eps in, I decided to go back to ep 1.
Been hooked ever since. Not sure what it says about me, (or you frankly) but some of those eps would indicate that you could have a career writing erotic fiction for women!!!! Gimme a yell if you want some help with the nom de plume...
In terms of continuity you could have had Angus 57 years old one day and 30ish the next and I probably wouldn't have noticed. I'm a "big picture" reader. That's why I can frequently read something more than one, there's often something new in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th reading. I rarely miss anything that alters the story though...
As a music illiterate, I even managed to learn something too.
In short I loved it, and am keen to have continued access if that's okay. It's probably nearly time for me to start back at the beginning.
And just quietly - read a fair whack at one stage during my treatment, helped me out no end - so thanks for that too!!!
I'll keep reading whatever you decide to write, unless of course you decide to serialise your PHD Thesis : )
Ta Mate!
ALD - I have, but not at this length. Sorta why I serialised the first draft, to see (as much for myself) what could be done without, if you get what I mean. Thing was, the tail started to wag the dog - found myself writing it more episodally rather than as a coherent piece - but it still probably turned out the same. TBF it's probably too libellious to get published in current format.
Mayhem - cheers for taking part. The Next Thing should be a bit of fun, a bit more down to earth.
To be perfectly honest, I've only read bits and pieces of ITWPT. I think it's because I came in somewhere in the middle, not sure whereabouts. I always planned to go back to the start, but.... clank me in irons and whip me with birch leaves... I never got around to it.
I think now I need to print the whole thing out and read it in order. Or maybe get a device thingy.
Is that something you might do? Release it as an eBook? I could probably borrow the Wah's newfangled iPad to read it.
I don't know what eBooks cost, but I'd be happy to pay some dosh for your troubles. :)
GC - probably not, at least not in this format. If it was going to go eBook it'd be edited down viciously so as not to be 1200 pages long or thereabouts. But it'll still be on teh interwebz.
It'd give the legal beagles somnething to trawl through for libel/defamation & copyright bits. biut that's what those cunts are for.
As I said at the blog I'll be dipping back in.
One qquestion - was Beth modelled on anyone? She crazy.
Beth? Not really. Actually she started as sort of a one-dimensional sketch - almost a parody of the stereotypical daddys little princess/psycho ex girlfriend, with the mere fact Angus had ever been in a relationship with her a sign of how off the rails into dull punishing averageness he'd gone. Originally she was meant to get progressively more and more apeshit until she, the family, the cops, the school and most of Straddie were out to get Angus like the demented bad guys in a Carl Hiaasen novel. I'd even played with the idea of having Angus end up with Lena, but that never really felt right given their history.
The more I fleshed Beth out though, the more I started working around the idea that she wasn't really this cliched daddy's girl, that she was actually badly messed up - and that the things which made her messed up actually made her a closer match for Angus than he'd care to admit (ie all the buried shit with his brother and Sam dying.) It kind of made it dysfunctional and real which was why I liked the idea and ran with it. Me and a lot of people close to me have had to deal with depression and mental illness and I liked the idea of exploring that. Plus the loony chick from Betty Blue was fucking tops and who wouldn't like one of them to play with.
In the end, not surprisingly, Beth-on-a-good-day started resembling my wife more and more. Which I'm happy with.
I've read the whole fkn thing in about a week. I was hooked on the felafelesque share house stuff in the beginning and on the fact that it is initially set where I live in Lismore.
I loved how Angus was an unreliable narrator and then it was the character development that kept me coming back.
There were a few continuity / geography issues that had me questioning things at the time but that is because I live and work in the Northern Rivers. I'm pretty certain that I could have gone to a Gasket show at Maggie Mores, The Great Northern, or The Top Pub as the timing was right.
I've been playing spot the real person (amalgam of real people?) with the Lismore crew as my partner's ex played in bands around that time and we both know a number of the local industry insiders.
Might go and drive by Chateau Dodgy this afternoon.
Post a Comment