Monday, September 27, 2010

More anon

Right, GrogsGamut. Anonymous blogger and twunterer, said a bunch of pretty-much-on-the-money stuff about the recent election, including that News Ltd and the associated meeja scrum were up to fuck all and just there for the beer. In completely unrelated news he was outed as a public servant (including name, rank and serial number) by some B-grade hack from the Australian because unmasking his identity was apparently 'in the public interest'. This is patent bollocks, as the entire inter-google has concurred, apart from the odd other MSM journo who also finds Twunter and Bloggage equally terrifying ref. their own relevance and job prospects as Massola the blabby little git from Unky Rupert's Deathstar. It's such patent bollocks in fact that one finds oneself in disconcerting agreeance with the much and rightly maligned Catherine Deveny. I don't like Deveny. Hated her cretinous Anzac Day smearing of your grandad and mine as racist fucks who only enlisted in order to shoot Japs and Krauts. Even wrote her a pantomime villain cameo in ITWPT, hatin' on the stylez of our dishevelled drunken heroes. But this, her call on the GrogsGamut story, I can't really find fault with.

So yeah, take it as read that James Massola is a petty little gobsite and can fuck right off, and the Rupert-era MSM are a bunch of evil self-serving dog-whistling pricks with a very mistaken view of their own importance ref. gatekeeperdom of news and information in the 21st Century. Moving on. Why did arts bureaucrat Greg 'GrogsGamut' Jericho ever think he was going to get to stay anonymous, given that no bastard who ever plays the Anonymous Public Figure card ever gets to stay that way? There's the obvious, fatuous examples, like the Stig. And the Stig before him. And even crap Aussie Stig from the crap Aussie version. But seriously, you think back and come up with any significant 'anonymous' figure - from political writers to TV show test drivers - who hasn't been outed. Watergate's Deep Throat is probably the one who lasted the longest. It's a particular affliction of writers, particularly girl writers who like to write about a bit of the old rumpy - from the writer of infamous infidelity bible The Bride Stripped Bare to the postdoc researcher whose part-time PhD student job formed the basis of book and TV series Secret Life Of A Call Girl (and no, she wasn't as hot as Billie Piper.) Noone gets to stays anonymous. Market forces, and/or the egos of disgruntled stepped-upon tossers looking to square ledgers or cash in on someone else's notoriety, means there's significant net impetus behind unmasking your Stigs and your Brooke Magnantis. The dream of Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent style double-life untouchable anonymity - the ability to do as you please in your secret life and still carry on as per in your day job - is as much a cornerstone of the cliched superhero fantasy as the actual superpowers. Except the superpowers are probably more feasible in real life.

And yet most people on teh interwebz, in particular the Twuntoblogowankosphere, are still flying stealth missions, to a greater or lesser extent. For most, this is about trying to create distance between real and online lives, given the opinions expressed are not necessarily those of one's friends, families or employers. For some, it's probably an ego thing, all about craving the notoriety that comes with being the man in the faux-anonymous black hat. For me... I've learned that nothing you say on here, just like nothing you say in real life, comes without the risk of it bouncing back in your face in the form of a footlong shitlong sub sandwich to chow down on. Say nothing you wouldn't stand beside in person with a grin on your face and your work uniform on. For me, it's just easier to write from distance, from behind a character. The jokes are funnier. And the points you're making often get listened to more, as Stephen Colbert found in Washington recently. And writing personal stuff on here always felt self-indulgent - basically, Dr Yobbo was never meant to be the story of Dr Yobbo's World of Bollocks.

And certainly Dr Yobbo's bollocks were never meant to be the story of Dr Yobbo's World of Bollocks. Might have to make a minor exception though. As some of you will be aware I've been diagnosed with a case of the Lance Armstrongs and will shortly have to go in for some strategic lightening. Sort of like a Dr Yobbo Superleggera. On the plus side I'm a shoe-in for the Tour de France in a couple of years, if not running some form of dodgy Fourth Reich with a bunch of equally gonadally challenged cronies. Your Correspondent drops this casually into conversation not to be a sympathy whore, or to excuse some fucking terrible jokes (and there will be more, I pledge), but with one clear underlying point: lads, check your boys. NOW. Well, OK, wait until you get home, the number 412 bus to Toowong might not be the most appropriate location for self-examination... but soon. Cancer of the bollocks is a young man's disease. And it is stupidly survivable, something like 98% if you don't fuck about and make sure you get it sorted early, so there's no excuses. It really is trivial to sort, compared to serious fuck-off-scary Capital-Fucking-C Cancer that needs chemo and radiation and invasive surgery to deal with. So much so it's almost embarrassing to self-identify as a 'cancer sufferer' when superhuman types like Big Bad Al, Mayhem and my old mate Matt had to take the bastard on and kick it in the teeth (and in some cases are still required to put the boot in at press time.) Me, I'm stupidly healthy, I'm covered by health insurance I didn't have until I took my current job six months ago, excellent people have my back from family to friends to workmates, and I stand less chance of dying from this than by being crushed and electrocuted crash-tackling the TV trying to make Phil Phucking Gould shut the fuck up about the fucking Rooters on Nine's Grand Final coverage.

Much as I like 'em, I've still got the Dragons pencilled in for self-inflicted tracheal constriction, for the record. But just watch the Baby Bunnies go in the under 20s. Sidestepping everything except the irony of a minor premiership winning Souths team, precisely none of whom were born the last time the first-grade team did likewise.

The Doctor is OUT. (But is happy to hang around with his pseudo-dodgy-medical-hat on and field questions about ball cancer if anyone has. And remember, as the Fun Lovin' Criminals might have put it: Check 'em. Check 'em. Check 'em if you got 'em. If you ain't got 'em... then it's possibly a statement of limited relevance other than with respect to the males of significance in your life, in which case... check 'em.)

35 comments:

Albion Love Den said...

Had a brief scare back in me early 20s. Turned out to be nuthin, but can't support your argument enough for ball tampering at every possible opportunity.

And hey, least you got to squirt out a coupla fine lookin sprogs pre- ball-tearin.

Moko said...

I agree with ya on this grognuts bloke. One thing I might add - which I said on Twitter - is that there very rarely is incoming without there having been outgoing. You can't be part of the circle - in which he quite clearly is being at functions and shit with this #murdochstooge - be randomly punting them in face with the occasional footy and then be surprised when someone sitting at that table gets the fucken shits and boots him squarely in the balls. It sucks, and he should know that he obviously gripped the correct nipple, but newtons 3rd comes in to play every-fucken-time.

As for your bomb, I had no idea. Obviously there's nothing I can say that will help but will lob plenty of good vibes and positive thoughts your way. Scary shit, and let us know if there's anything I'm capable of doing that might help.

Jennicki said...

Hey Doc--*hugs*

Lots and lots of positive thoughts and love being sent your way!

Jennicki said...

and just an FYI,

this post was so genuinely Australian I had to ask Medway to translate for me. I couldn't understand a word.

Skarburn said...

Maybe with one gone, the other one will finally drop and your voice will change! haha

Having the kids on the swing is a fine feeling, but having one of those swings break should make you thankful for the other. Good luck

Dr Yobbo said...

Albion - cheers mate - that's the point after all. Guys will deny and ignore until it kills them rather than have their gonads examined by some random medico. It's a bit fucking awkward going through that stuff. But less awkward than dropping off the twig.

Moko - that's an argument which Dom Knight (writing on the ABC website) went into, and which is fair enough too. You can't seriously expect to maintain your anonymity if you're flirting with the media like some sort of Twittersphere Scarlet Pimpernel. But the reasons News Ltd outed him had nothing to do with that and everything to do with being scared fools. Cheers for the good wishes.

Jen and Meds - likewise, thanks

Anonymous said...

MAte I wish you a speedy recovery.

Abe

Birmo said...

Fuck. I'm so out of the loop. I completely missed this.

Life on Planet Parenthood.

Quokka said...

xoxox

Been there, got the 7 inch scar to show for it.
Just bear in mind that the Obnoxious among us are not wanted in the hereafter which is why I'm still here 16 years later. Scary shit when it comes out of nowhere and you're a youngster, though.

When's your surgery?
I'll be thinking of you.
xox
Auntie Q.

Bangar said...

Well SHIT, glad the prognosis is good Doc.

Big Bad Al said...

Bugger! Being on the Liberal Party Dial-up Interwebz I've been out of the loop.

All the best mate.

Hope the Op goes well for you and No! I don't want to see your scar!

Should be back on the real interwebz by Friday. Will chat to you then.

Timmo said...

Shit Doc, that's not great to hear. What is great to hear is your positive attitude to it all - all the best with the op and such.

I only got onto this Grogs story after watching #qanda, so am still acquainting myself with the circumstances. May comment when I've done so...

Girl Clumsy said...

I've only just read this. I'm so sorry I'm behind on the eight ball. No laptop, 4am shifts, and being wrapped up in my fairly-stupid-by-comparison 30 Things project. Gah.

Anyway, I am confident you'll be fine. Thanks again for the good health message. Take care. Thinking of you!

Dr Yobbo said...

Thanks all - much appreciated. Surgery is pretty straightforward, it's a bit like a cross btw a C-section and a hernia op - similar sorts of post op limitations on driving and lifting heavy weights. Should be in a couple of weeks. The obvious reason why cancer of the man-jewels is more survivable than most is that it's in an external, easily examinable, surgically accessible, functionally dispensible tissue.

Natalia the Russian Spy said...

Jebus. Such a healthy looking lad and the last person I'd imagine having to deal with this. Thank you for letting us in on this - I had no idea it was a young person's disease.

Mayhem said...

I too am suffering from the dodgy interwebs syndrome. Some days it's almost more annoying than the Cancer.

Glad you decided to be a little more direct than you were on twitter, unlike you to be coy my friend.... maybe I could have helped by jumping in there. Not to worry, this mob is enormously supportive I've found!

On a lighter note, I had a discussion with The Brat, he had a scare when he was about 14, and it's hugely important for him to self-examine. He assures me that he "gives 'em a squeeze every day". When I suggested that bordered on TMI he responded that he meant while he showered, but it's good to know that my mind's in the gutter ; ).

I've also told your story to my man, and look forward to checking things out personally when he's here (hopefully) in a few weeks time.

Stay positive, learn patience, and keep your sense of humour. Give us a shout whenever you need.

Domestic Daze said...

There's a loop? Bugger, missed that too.

Thinking good thoughts for you.

Anonymous said...

I have been arguing for years that it is medically important to have a fiddle with the boys a couple of hundred times a day.

Just because the in-laws are in the room, is no reason not to jam my hand down the front of my shorts and have a squeeze, Al Bundy style.

Naut
I will be showing your post to the missus in the vain hope I can cancel out some of those negative brownie points I have accumulated due to RIGOUROUS self examination.

All the best mate.

Naut

Dr Yobbo said...

Thanks all. Naut's absolutely correct, shit needs rearranging. Boonie spent half of every Test match afternoon in the field rearranging his cruets. Did he get cancer of the spuds? Did he bollocks.

Moko said...

Read ya link on that Dom bloke. I'll add, perhaps one shouldn't put stuff out there that one wouldn't say on camera to the world. 'Anon' or not. Nearly everyone you and me interact with on a regular basis online basically have that unwritten rule in our interactions with each other and it's just a basic decency way of being. There's a zillion examples of people copping the consequences of acting otherwise. ESPECIALLY on Twitter and Facebook.

Anonymous said...

Read ya link on that Dom bloke. I'll add, perhaps one shouldn't put stuff out there that one wouldn't say on camera to the world. 'Anon' or not. Nearly everyone you and me interact with on a regular basis online basically have that unwritten rule in our interactions with each other and it's just a basic decency way of being. There's a zillion examples of people copping the consequences of acting otherwise. ESPECIALLY on Twitter and Facebook.

Moko.

yankeedog said...

Hell's bells, Doc-sorry I got in late. I go away for a bit and you all go to pieces!

Whoa! Good luck with the necessary procedures. Good that you caught this early on. Take care, take it easy. Let us know how everything's going.

Anonymous said...

So you are planning on telling the DMDY that she HAS TO rub cream on them post op?

And while she's down there .......

Naut

Dr Yobbo said...

YDog - actually have been carrying it around with me for a while (in all respects), knew before I went to Sydney - hadn't been diagnosed but I'd seen the ultrasound and it looked pretty borked. One of these things is not like the other etc.

Naut - will be clarifying the extent of my post-op limitations with registered medical professionals, and will bribe them to make certain pronouncements if necessary

Lobes said...

Nuts! Hang in there mate, with both of them if poss. Sending you the best possible vibes and get well soon.

Lobes

Dr Yobbo said...

Cheers mate - and remember to check em. Thirty something is young enough to worry. Particularly if you, erm, get to use them a bit.

Right - it's been declared - time to see who can come up with the best/worst/dodgiest joke, one-liner or reference to One's Awkward Medical Situation. Clubhouse leader is my boss, who noted during a discussion on developing my territory's Key Growth Objectives (in the same phone call I'd told him about my likely need for time off) - 'I'm not sure this is the 'key growth' you were looking for...'

Fire at will.

Anonymous said...

"Whoa" indeed! Yeah, plenty of good wishes willing your way mate.

yankeedog said...

Sorry, Doc-wouldn't have the balls to joke about something like this.

There. Got the easy one out of the way!

Havock21 said...

well then, as ya ask, you do know that only one WHEEL is required!, OH and BTW, some advance warning after the op to please, just so as I walk on the correct side on ya. Dont want to get run over with you cutting circles and all that!.

All H pos energy heading fkn ENZED BOUND. LATE to the fkn party and NOT real fkn happy with that much..co's I've been way to fkn slack arsed. Cheers mate

H

Mayhem said...

Lobes: When the wonderful Doc at my mammogram facility saw my films, she was convinced my lump was cancer. (When she showed 'em to me even I could see the issue. When the first biopsy came back negative, she totally didn't believe it, and performed a 2nd biopsy.

Thank FK for that... if she hadn't, I wouldn't be going through the shit I am now... but I would be that much closeer to dead!

Sometimes we just have to trust...

Greybeard said...

Sorry I missed this one Doc. All the best. You might want them to drop in a blue flashing LED while they're down there?

Anonymous said...

Full recovery????

Paul, you know they don't grow back don't you?

Naut

Dr Yobbo said...

Thanks again all. It really is much appreciated. Got an unexpected call this afternoon - 'You do know you're booked in for surgery on Friday?' - so, erm, I guess I'm having surgery on Friday.

Therbs said...

Doc, that's pretty fucked. Wishing you the best. I'm just glad I didn't crack any ball jokes when we were out that night.
As for testicle laughs, I got nuffin' at the mo.

Anonymous said...

Gosh,Doc Y, I'm so late you've processed the facts, gotten through it, been well -wished by all and had your surgery!

COULD I have read ths any later in the piece??

But I want to send you my best wishes; and, btw, love your work:)

( and: Of course it is totally, ridiculously survivable; you'll be fine). Abigail

Go see a movie and buy yourself a choc top