"In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree :
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea."
S.T. Coleridge, 1797
"That fucker's off his fucking chops"
Everyone else, as soon as he published it
Which is a pretty fucking ropey link to the Kubler-Ross model (see what I did there? No? Ah shit) of grief management, otherwise known as the Five Stages of Grief. Kubler Ross was, as far as I am aware, no relation of Norman Ross. The Kubler-Ross model has pretty much entered into pop culture now - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance - and is trotted out as a template for dealing with any form of grief or tragedy. Family bereavement, terminal illness, drug addiction, divorce.
To which we can now add having the laptop drive on your MacBook pack the fuck up with extreme prejudice.
I give you:
Denial
Nah, it's just a boot error. On-off and restart should sort it.
followed by
Probably just the chip that gets the BIOS to talk to the hard drive. Had a bad batch of them a while back, delaminated or something. Data'll be fine.
followed by
It's probably mostly backed up. Mostly.
Anger
What the fuck do you mean the hard drive's stuffed?
followed by
What the fuck do you mean my last effective backup was July?
followed by
What the fuck do you mean the staff club isn't running evening bar until next week and you close in 20 minutes? We're trying to hold a fucking wake here people!
Bargaining
I don't really give a toss that Apple usually replace under-warranty HD failures with bigger drives. I'd rather have my shitty original drive WITH MY DATA ON IT.
followed by
I'll exchange you this money for another two handles of Speights thanks mate.
Depression
Can't be that much lost can it? Only my iTunes library. And my photos from Europe. And those two papers I was working on. And the presentations from the Europe evo-devo conference. And pretty much every other document I've changed, saved or edited in the past six months. Life is a shallow, hollow, miserable farce.
followed by
I've run out of beer. Life is a shallow, hollow, miserable farce.
Acceptance
Fuck it, let's just pay some spotty twunt to do data recovery on it.
The Doctor is OUT to convince the boss to cough up several gorillas to cover for his incompetence.
2 comments:
What a bugger. Hope the recovery works. I have some positive experience with this sort of thing, especially, where it is genuinely a simple mechanical failure or where the metadata has gone bad. Where there was a software problem it becomes more tenuous, and if the data was overwritten, all bets are off.
We've decided to throw money at the problem and make it go away (in the end it's NZ taxpayers money I guess). We did the maths and as a proportion of my salary it'd be cheaper to pay for data recovery (if successful) to bust out the tools than the amount of time I'd waste having to rewrite stuff, redownload papers etc. It's almost definitely head failure (much as I am having myself - chronic hayfever) so unless the head's faceplanted into the disk like Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards most of the data should theoretically be recoverable.
Post a Comment